Leaking brakes?

JamesF

Morning all. I bought my first weekend car a few weeks back, a 987 PDK 2nd Gen, 2010.  I absolutely love it, in great condition and drives just how I’d hoped.

However, whilst washing it at the weekend I noticed that there is some brown fluid or oil inside of the front alloys which hasn’t previously been present in the weeks I’ve had it.  Having washed it off I took it round the block to dry off (and deliver emergency supplies to old folk, obviously) and the wheels were covered in it again.

Picture attached. I know nothing about mechanics so really hoping one of you who does is going to tell me it’s nothing too serious and readily fixed! 

E2ACDACF-7778-4D41-9E9D-28A5CC8BEBD7.jpeg

I'm wondering if that is just rusty crud flirting out from the air vents in the disc.?

Both sides the same? Any loss of fluid? Does it feel oily/greasy?, 

Ifits one side only check to see that you have no splits in any rubber boot covers

It could be stuff off the road... check your brake fluid level (under a plastic cover in the frunk) and see if it's low (tip, theres a small hole on the left of plastic around the reservoir you can look through as well, it can be hard to tell from the top).

I'd pop the wheels off and check the brake lines while you're at it. I upgraded mine to stainless ones the other week, it was pretty easy.

And check all the bleed nipples on the caliper are tight too.

7 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I'm wondering if that is just rusty crud flirting out from the air vents in the disc.?

Both sides the same? Any loss of fluid? Does it feel oily/greasy?, 

Ifits one side only check to see that you have no splits in any rubber boot covers

Yep, both from wheels which is why it seemed odd. It does feel oily.

it wasn’t doing this previously so don’t think it’s from the road.

That does look like brake fluid, I wouldn't drive it until inspected or if you handy with a spanner gat wheel off and get someone to press/depress the brake pedal also look for bubbles in the brake fluid when pressing, and dribbles around the callipers, good luck.

I'm with @bally4563 on this one i would say that residue from mixture of wheel cleaner soap and brake dust from inside your discs and the back of your wheels, i would give your wheels a good clean (inside of barrels and back of spokes) dry them off roll the car back and forward a few times dry again and then take it for a spin

just to add to this, was the brakes replaced when you purchased the car and is there any residue around the caliper or bleed nipple, it would be strange to have a leaky caliper on both wheels.

As @89rallye said, a leak on both sides seems improbable but not impossible. Given the amount of fluid you have on that wheel then if it is brake fluid then the level in the reservoir will be dropping quickly so definitely check the brake fluid level up front.

If you can then take the wheels off and have a good look at the calipers as well as everywhere else in the vicinity to see if you can see where it is coming from. 

Let us know what you find out!

Do you have the service history? Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years, as it absorbs water from the air. If this has been neglected, you can get corrosion inside the callipers, etc leading to leaks. Fresh fluid is a pinky red. If it is brown, suggests it hasn't been changed on time.

2 hours ago, JamesF said:

Morning all. I bought my first weekend car a few weeks back, a 987 PDK 2nd Gen, 2010.  I absolutely love it, in great condition and drives just how I’d hoped.

However, whilst washing it at the weekend I noticed that there is some brown fluid or oil inside of the front alloys which hasn’t previously been present in the weeks I’ve had it.  Having washed it off I took it round the block to dry off (and deliver emergency supplies to old folk, obviously) and the wheels were covered in it again.

Picture attached. I know nothing about mechanics so really hoping one of you who does is going to tell me it’s nothing too serious and readily fixed! 

E2ACDACF-7778-4D41-9E9D-28A5CC8BEBD7.jpeg

Is that the bottom of the wheel, with the bottom of the caliper on the left?

Looks like (as others have suggested) sh+t from washing as it looks like its dripping from the disc. In that area on the wheel, any leak will come from either the caliper, the bleed nipple or where the brake hose joins the caliper. Inspect these areas for leaks.

Good luck.

Steve

I’ve just checked the brake fluid and it is up to the max line so as suggested, you’d expect that not to be the case if it was that which is leaking.

is there anything else which could leak into the alloys? I’m inclined (and hoping!) to go with the theory that it is grime from the brakes etc coming out having sprayed wheel cleaner on them.....the only part I don’t get is why this has only happened to the front wheels, as the backs have remained clean?

I get it on mine after washing, really frustrating after you’ve spent ages cleaning it!!

It’s just shyatee from the discs spraying onto the wheel barrels when you’ve driven it after washing.

1 minute ago, Boxstercol said:

I get it on mine after washing, really frustrating after you’ve spent ages cleaning it!!

It’s just shyatee from the discs spraying onto the wheel barrels when you’ve driven it after washing.

I hope so, thanks all for your input. 

2 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

That's why i bought one of these does the job rightly for all the gaps and wheels never have any flick , also use it to dry the tyres off so i can slick them right away

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KATSU-100140-Blower-Electric-Inflator/dp/B01MTSDYH8?ref_=s9_apbd_omwf_hd_bw_b7kxj5&pf_rd_r=8S4X9A2399S3DH5HYZT9&pf_rd_p=697e9a84-468b-5989-b102-3ae9c0ddd954&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=114627031

If the substance is oily as the OP suggests not sure it could be residue from washing the wheels, it looks like clear oil, but without seeing and touching and even smelling the residue it’s difficult to tell.

2 hours ago, the baron said:

If the substance is oily as the OP suggests not sure it could be residue from washing the wheels, it looks like clear oil, but without seeing and touching and even smelling the residue it’s difficult to tell.

Update on that...it looked and felt oily when wet but it has dried and so hopefully as people are suggesting it’s just grime.

I’d just washed the car last time so I’ll just wipe it off dry this time and see next time I take it out. Hopefully that’ll prove people right and save me a few quid!

4 hours ago, JamesF said:

Update on that...it looked and felt oily when wet but it has dried and so hopefully as people are suggesting it’s just grime.

I’d just washed the car last time so I’ll just wipe it off dry this time and see next time I take it out. Hopefully that’ll prove people right and save me a few quid!

In that case if it looks like grime, dries like grime its probably grime, good new then.

Archived