Prospective 987.1 Owner: Which options to look for?

Scottland

Sounds like a really nice spec! Extended leather looks really nice but seems like hen's teeth so for that reason wouldn't hold out for it. 

What does the sport chrono pack involve other than a clock? From reading around it seems to give a sport button for better throttle map - but is that in addition or instread of the PASM options, or are they tied together? 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sport Chrono does four things. 

- Puts PASM into 'Sport' mode (if you have PASM, I don't know if there were ever any cars built with Sport Chrono but not PASM)

- Backs off the PSM slightly, but less than pushing the PSM button

- Changes the throttle map so the throttle opens with less pedal movement making the car 'seem' faster (although it doesn't change the engine map at all, despite what some people claim)

- Makes the auto gearbox hold onto gears for longer giving better acceleration (if you have an auto gearbox). 

It also has the clock on the top of the dashboard. 

Extended leather is nice. I really wanted it and am glad my car has it. 

I have a Sport Chrono Plus.  To my knowledge, no PASM.  My button also switches on the Porsche Sports Exhaust (ie, makes it throatier), and the Plus seems to open up a few extra options in the PCM2.1 menu, the only one I know that I use is to switch on dipped beams as DRLs.

Honestly, wouldn't want it, just a separate PSE button. I'd get my DRLs always on via PIWIS or similar.  The "sharpened throttle response" just makes it more tricky to modulate as pedal travel is shortened. Big woop.

2 hours ago, Scottland said:

Sounds like a really nice spec! Extended leather looks really nice but seems like hen's teeth so for that reason wouldn't hold out for it. 

What does the sport chrono pack involve other than a clock? From reading around it seems to give a sport button for better throttle map - but is that in addition or instread of the PASM options, or are they tied together? 

yeh, its great. sport chrono is a nice to have, my only gripe is that the stopwatch isnt a clock in the 987.1 when you're not using the stopwatch. There is a mirror of my car in the classifieds now!

I recently changed cars (both 987.2 so slightly different in as much as both PDK)

Out of the mix of both my have to list 

heated seats. I drive it roof down whenever it isn’t raining (actually when it isn’t raining a lot ). Previous convertibles didn’t have them didn’t think I needed them but I was wrong. 

sports seats. More comfortable for me than the standard seats and I am 6’1 and circa 17st.  The standard seats dug in the sports seats don’t. 

xenon headlights. Latest car had steerable xenons.  Brilliant.  The standard halogens are woeful not just average.  

multi function steering wheel. Volume control on the wheel. Retro fitted to 1st car  was there on the 2nd one. 

climate control   I found the non climate hard to get to a point where I was comfortable constant fiddling and not the most ergonomic  

Sports chronos   Makes a big difference on a pdk car.  

then is want

pse - love it 

cruise - again  would retro fit it  

full leather - just nicer  but not a deal breaker 

pcm3 with nav and universal audio (iPhone and aux support ) and Bluetooth phone 

would have liked but didn’t get pasm

Non bose is cheaper to upgrade and bose itself isn’t a big leap from the sound plus system (ASK amplifier). 

one other thing it appears that “S” models tend to come higher specced (not by default just by original owner).  

29 minutes ago, Paul P said:

one other thing it appears that “S” models tend to come higher specced (not by default just by original owner).  

I've noticed this as well; not that many 2.7s appear to have xenons but more 3.2/3.4 S models seem to be better spec'd with both xenons and heated seats which at the moment are still my only 2 must have options.

Blue interior seems quite popular which isn't for me, still unsure on the grey too. There's a few on my shortlist but I'll probably wait a while until lockdown eases and hopefully more come to the market. (I also need to shift my mx5).

2 minutes ago, Scottland said:

I've noticed this as well; not that many 2.7s appear to have xenons but more 3.2/3.4 S models seem to be better spec'd with both xenons and heated seats which at the moment are still my only 2 must have options.

Blue interior seems quite popular which isn't for me, still unsure on the grey too. There's a few on my shortlist but I'll probably wait a while until lockdown eases and hopefully more come to the market. (I also need to shift my mx5).

My current car is an S and was very well specced (was in fact my “unicorn”). It’s very blue.  

aqua blue paint, whatever it’s called blue roof and ocean blue interior.  I didn’t like the sound of that until I saw it up close. The interior Is very dark blue, lifts the cabin a little without it being loud (previous car was Audi A4 convertible with light grey interior). Point is don’t dismiss it on paper, have a look and see it for real. 

on the S or not front. Previous car was 2.9 this one S (3.4). I prefer the improved torque on the S. Makes everyday driving a bit more relaxed to be honest.  Both are more than fast enough and More than fun enough but there is a difference.  

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

My current car is an S and was very well specced (was in fact my “unicorn”). It’s very blue.  

aqua blue paint, whatever it’s called blue roof and ocean blue interior.  I didn’t like the sound of that until I saw it up close. The interior Is very dark blue, lifts the cabin a little without it being loud (previous car was Audi A4 convertible with light grey interior). Point is don’t dismiss it on paper, have a look and see it for real. 

on the S or not front. Previous car was 2.9 this one S (3.4). I prefer the improved torque on the S. Makes everyday driving a bit more relaxed to be honest.  Both are more than fast enough and More than fun enough but there is a difference.  

I'm open minded to take a look at the different interior colours. I remember when I was shopping for an S2000 a lot of those had blue interiors and even in the flesh it wasn't for me. Hopefully I'll be able to get to see some in the flesh soon...

30 minutes ago, Scottland said:

I'm open minded to take a look at the different interior colours. I remember when I was shopping for an S2000 a lot of those had blue interiors and even in the flesh it wasn't for me. Hopefully I'll be able to get to see some in the flesh soon...

Yup.  You have it nailed.  It’s what works for you. Hopefully you can get out and have a proper heart and head look at the market soon. 

6 hours ago, Scottland said:

I'd agree that heated seats are *the* most desirable option, followed by Xenons.

I seem to be fortunate in that my 2.7 has both, plus extended leather, climate, sports wheel, sound plus, cruise, and crab claws. Can't really think of anything I'd want to add except sports seats maybe, but I wouldn't want to lose any of those either.

Sounds sensible - I think litronic and heated seats are the main ones.  My last car had PASM which I didn't press very often and sound package plus (sounded fine to me - I think Bose is a nice to have) as well as cruise control (which I know can be retro fitted).  Happy hunting!

On 5/13/2020 at 7:53 PM, Geoff Pearce said:

Mine is quite red too, but with a fair bit of black...

2GjCWO4.jpg

Geoff, that's a really interesting picture - thanks very much for posting it. It is quite a lot less red than mine. What has been changed? To my eyes it's as follows; 

- Steering wheel

- 3x trims on door (speaker, lower bit and bit 'round door opening handle)

- Floormats

- Gearstick gaiter

- Trim bit in front of gaiter below centre console

- Transmission tunnel cover

- Carpets(?)

I am thinking about changing the floor mats on mine for some black ones to tone it down a bit. Did you paint your transmission tunnel cover yourself? If so then what did you paint it with? 

18 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Geoff, that's a really interesting picture - thanks very much for posting it. It is quite a lot less red than mine. What has been changed? To my eyes it's as follows; 

- Steering wheel

- 3x trims on door (speaker, lower bit and bit 'round door opening handle)

- Floormats

- Gearstick gaiter

- Trim bit in front of gaiter below centre console

- Transmission tunnel cover

- Carpets(?)

I am thinking about changing the floor mats on mine for some black ones to tone it down a bit. Did you paint your transmission tunnel cover yourself? If so then what did you paint it with? 

Would it make sense to buy the parts from a breaker rather than respray yours.  What would the cost be?  At least it could be put back to standard if needed?

On an earlier thread we discussed this and it seems Porsche made them with a ridiculous amount of options ( / packages) as to what was red and what was black.

It came from the factory like that.  It was colour to sample hence the slightly different shade of red with leather extended to the dashboard and door panels.  The carpets, steering wheel, centre console, gear lever, handbrake and lower door panels are all in black. It also has the instrument surround in aluminium, so it’s quite an unusual interior.  I must admit it was the deciding factor in my buying the car plus it’s in great condition having only covered 39k miles.

I held out for mine as I wanted extended leather, heated sports seats and sports steering wheel. Everything else I was prepared to compromise on as they could be added aftermarket, but these three couldn’t without spending loads of ££

11 hours ago, RobQ said:

I held out for mine as I wanted extended leather, heated sports seats and sports steering wheel. Everything else I was prepared to compromise on as they could be added aftermarket, but these three couldn’t without spending loads of ££

Yeah it's all about patience I think. I'd really like a non monochrome colour, but I might have to pass on that as 90% seem to be silver/grey/black! 

I have red extended leather with Basalt Black exterior - really sets it off and one of the reasons I bought the car. 

the sports chrono plus with PDK also removes 7th gear, makes it a monster on the roads and never really used it - it’s a lot more suited for track use.

also has Launch Control - but once you’ve done it a few times, you tend to forget about it 

On 5/19/2020 at 3:24 PM, Mattman42 said:

I have red extended leather with Basalt Black exterior - really sets it off and one of the reasons I bought the car. 

the sports chrono plus with PDK also removes 7th gear, makes it a monster on the roads and never really used it - it’s a lot more suited for track use.

also has Launch Control - but once you’ve done it a few times, you tend to forget about it 

Sport or sport +. ?

i use sport mode a fair bit, basically when I am taking the long road home and enjoying the journey.  

300 motorway miles. No pse no sports mode etc  but 20 miles of twisty B roads and personally  I love the difference sport mode makes 

sport + on the other hand is “yeah   Pressed it once by mistake”   

Archived