Battery charger set up

Tynesider

Hi 

I'm after some advice / recommendations for setting up battery charger for the winter.

My problem is the car has to remain outside but is only approx. half a metre away from garage where the nearest socket is, but the cable will have to be outside. So should I even do this? 

Has anyone got a good safe working solution to this.

Last winter my battery went down even though I ran the car every couple of weeks and then I was left with the pain of getting the frunk open. Have fitted new battery this spring and want to keep it maintained through winter, will most likely still run the car a bit through the winter.

Cheers

CTEK MXS 5.0

extension cable

cigeratte lighter comfort adapter 

I wrap some polythene around the connectors just to be extra safe, but they are shiweroroof anyway. 

the charger used to sit under the car in a plastic box (2 little cut outs for cables), until I put a Keter Storage unit on the drive with power. 

top tip: plug the cable in from the drivers side door so you remember it's plugged in 🤫

11 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

CTEK MXS 5.0

extension cable

cigeratte lighter comfort adapter 

I wrap some polythene around the connectors just to be extra safe, but they are shiweroroof anyway. 

the charger used to sit under the car in a plastic box (2 little cut outs for cables), until I put a Keter Storage unit on the drive with power. 

top tip: plug the cable in from the drivers side door so you remember it's plugged in 🤫

Cheers, does the cigarette adapter come with the CTEK?

5 minutes ago, Tynesider said:

Cheers, does the cigarette adapter come with the CTEK?

It's separate and as Pinewood says you'll need the extension too. Also as he says you should be able to site any connectors in a plastic box with rubber sealed holes for the cables to pass through. I use one every Christmas to house the extension socket for our outdoor lights. Got it from B & Q i think.

Just now, red rocket said:

It's separate and as Pinewood says you'll need the extension too. Also as he says you should be able to site any connectors in a plastic box with rubber sealed holes for the cables to pass through. I use one every Christmas to house the extension socket for our outdoor lights. Got it from B & Q i think.

Thanks to you both, that set up sounds ideal and should be straight forward enough👍

You can connect directly to the battery and run the cable out beside the wipers. I have a post with a pic somewhere. 

If you are connecting to the cigarette socket there is a slight break in the door rubber near the back that allows you to route the cable and close the door. 

I made a 'ON CHARGE' sign from a site id lanyard to hang from the mirror to prevent tethered drive offs. 

CTEK's are totally waterproof and these are handy to hold the cables but also tuck under the car;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Masterplug-Splashproof-Extension-Lead-Plug-Socket-Protector-Outdoor-Power-Cover/332057148049?epid=8035409864&hash=item4d5025fa91:g:Ec8AAOSw~rpZVksN

41 minutes ago, EXY said:

You can connect directly to the battery and run the cable out beside the wipers. I have a post with a pic somewhere. 

If you are connecting to the cigarette socket there is a slight break in the door rubber near the back that allows you to route the cable and close the door. 

I made a 'ON CHARGE' sign from a site id lanyard to hang from the mirror to prevent tethered drive offs. 

CTEK's are totally waterproof and these are handy to hold the cables but also tuck under the car;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Masterplug-Splashproof-Extension-Lead-Plug-Socket-Protector-Outdoor-Power-Cover/332057148049?epid=8035409864&hash=item4d5025fa91:g:Ec8AAOSw~rpZVksN

Thanks for that, will try and find your post.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, Tynesider said:

Hi 

I'm after some advice / recommendations for setting up battery charger for the winter.

My problem is the car has to remain outside but is only approx. half a metre away from garage where the nearest socket is, but the cable will have to be outside. So should I even do this? 

Has anyone got a good safe working solution to this.

Last winter my battery went down even though I ran the car every couple of weeks and then I was left with the pain of getting the frunk open. Have fitted new battery this spring and want to keep it maintained through winter, will most likely still run the car a bit through the winter.

Cheers

Hi

I keep my charger  in the house . As and when needed I connect a 25ft sae to sae extension cable , run  it out through the top light window out to the car on the drive , connect to sae connector at wiper scuttle 

I have connected an o ring to sae connector cable with in-line fuse directly to the battery and fed this up to the wiper scuttle. I've tethered the connector end of the cable to the scuttle with some fishing gut  so it can be tucked down between the frunk and plastic tray area and pulled back out when needed.  

If I havent used the car I  connect it about once a week to top up .   

Annoyingly I ordered a ctek 5.0 from Demon Tweeks along with a breaker bar. Parcelforce delivered the breaker bar package, told me there was another package, so he went back to his van. Three minutes later I’m still stood by my front door as he drives off!! No second package!

I bought one like this, different brand but exactly the same, I paid £19 and it's been excellent. Looks like a CTEK knock-off and never let me down in 2 years. Touch wood. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ERAYAK-Car-Battery-Smart-Charger-and-Maintainer-5-Amp-12V-Fully-Automatic-/402298552937?hash=item5daadcc269

Only 99p at the moment...

I then got a very long extension for the 12v side, 3 metres or maybe more, along with an eyelet adaptor lead to permanently attach to the battery. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTEK-Comfort-Connect-Connection-To-Battery-Cable-40cm-Lead-Flylead-56-260/372526422843?epid=7027452875&hash=item56bc4e1b3b:g:KAQAAOSwcZ1cVD3E

I did have to do some trigging to make the knock off lead fit the ctek one but it works.

When I plug the extension lead to the eyelet cable (attached to the battery)  I open the bonnet and thread the extension through the gap between the bulkhead and top of the bonnet so that it can be closed and locked securely, without the frunk light staying on. I'll post a pic as I seem to be having trouble explaining what's in my head!

Just thinking that if you have the 12v part between your garage and car then it should be safe, shouldn't it? Hope this helps :)

Here's what I was on about previously:

yjU6FpN.jpg

Lead fed through the gap twixt bonnet and scuttle...

Ckgn32K.jpg

Eyelet lead fed under the battery cover. Bonnet can be closed securely, thinking that if this were outside then would need to make sure that rain doesn't track down the cable into the bulkhead, I know there are drains but better avoided imo. We get a lot of rain here in West Devon!

MzMfoGF.jpg

HTH! :)

7 hours ago, Freddie said:

Here's what I was on about previously:

yjU6FpN.jpg

Lead fed through the gap twixt bonnet and scuttle...

Ckgn32K.jpg

Eyelet lead fed under the battery cover. Bonnet can be closed securely, thinking that if this were outside then would need to make sure that rain doesn't track down the cable into the bulkhead, I know there are drains but better avoided imo. We get a lot of rain here in West Devon!

MzMfoGF.jpg

HTH! :)

Thanks for the info and pics Freddie much appreciated 👍

Archived