MAF

Tynesider

Hi

There is a wide variation in price for the MAF sensor (986 2.5 1997) from different suppliers, has anyone got any recommendations. £40 - £250 on ebay from different suppliers, is there anything special about it or will one of the more keenly priced ones be fine?

Also AOS might have to be replaced possible oil leak from the bellows on the bottom end, do I need to get a different length hose from AOS to the TB?? (read this somewhere)

Thanks

Given the price differences vs risk I'd get one from a breaker (when mine went I got a second hand spare from someone on here so I have actually gone second hand), that way you know it is Bosch but even if it fails sooner you can go through two or three comfortably before you'll have spent the price of a new one.  A genuine Bosch item (Porsche number 987 606 125 01 Bosch number 0 280 218 145) can be got for around £150+160 if you want new..

46 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Given the price differences vs risk I'd get one from a breaker (when mine went I got a second hand spare from someone on here so I have actually gone second hand), that way you know it is Bosch but even if it fails sooner you can go through two or three comfortably before you'll have spent the price of a new one.  A genuine Bosch item (Porsche number 987 606 125 01 Bosch number 0 280 218 145) can be got for around £150+160 if you want new..

👏👏This👏👏

Ive has them from breakers at £25 and they’ve lasted ages in my 2.5s 

I’ve got a spare in my tool box now. It’s predictable they will fail. Eventually.

2 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

👏👏This👏👏

Ive has them from breakers at £25 and they’ve lasted ages in my 2.5s 

I’ve got a spare in my tool box now. It’s predictable they will fail. Eventually.

What breakers do you recommend?

2 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

I should say I only connect mine at MOT time. I don’t bother with it otherwise. More Faff than MAF

I was thinking sort of along this line, is there any downside to running the car/engine with it disconnected?

17 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

I should say I only connect mine at MOT time. I don’t bother with it otherwise. More Faff than MAF

Thats interesting, do you not have any downsides in not have the MAF installed?

1 hour ago, Tynesider said:

What breakers do you recommend?

I have used Douglas Valley and 9apart who have eBay shops.  There are others besides.

I was thinking sort of along this line, is there any downside to running the car/engine with it disconnected?

@naim22 can you give a bit more detail on how the MAF affects running connected and disconnected?

3 hours ago, Tynesider said:

3 hours ago, the baron said:

There are no discernible downsides I’ve found. Starting, running at temp, idling all fine. I think it’s like your appendix, when it makes a fuss, rip the fu.cker out and carry on! 

I’ve not found the performance lacking on any of our little jaunts in the countryside. 

my Mpg is very respectable. 

3 hours ago, the baron said:

To clarify. It’s in situ, just unplugged. If I could get a blanking plate, I might🤔

11 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

To clarify. It’s in situ, just unplugged. If I could get a blanking plate, I might🤔

An old broken MAF with the blade that sits in the airflow?  I think I can find my old failed MAF in the pile to go to the tip if you'd like me to dig it out PM me.

44 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

There are no discernible downsides I’ve found. Starting, running at temp, idling all fine. I think it’s like your appendix, when it makes a fuss, rip the fu.cker out and carry on! 

I’ve not found the performance lacking on any of our little jaunts in the countryside. 

my Mpg is very respectable. 

Thanks, I'm going to unplug it and monitor it and  see what its like, if like you have found with no downsides then hey ho.

23 minutes ago, Tynesider said:

Thanks, I'm going to unplug it and monitor it and  see what its like, if like you have found with no downsides then hey ho.

Only matters at MOT time👍

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

An old broken MAF with the blade that sits in the airflow removed?  I think I can find my old failed MAF in the pile to go to the tip if you'd like me to dig it out PM me.

CFA - @Mr96er the offer should make more sense now!

Ah yes, 

thank you for the kind offer. I have a dud one also lurking in the garage which I might well cut up. Truth is, I’m looking at new cats and  maybe Headers in which case I’ll go back to running a MAF to see if it makes any difference. My current set up is “modified 😉”. 

On 6/12/2020 at 12:55 PM, Tynesider said:

Hi

There is a wide variation in price for the MAF sensor (986 2.5 1997) from different suppliers, has anyone got any recommendations. £40 - £250 on ebay from different suppliers, is there anything special about it or will one of the more keenly priced ones be fine?

Also AOS might have to be replaced possible oil leak from the bellows on the bottom end, do I need to get a different length hose from AOS to the TB?? (read this somewhere)

Thanks

When I changed my AOS on my 98 2.5, I had to get a new hose as the top of the AOS is 90degrees different to the replacement, I will try and find the part number.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:55 PM, Tynesider said:

has anyone got any recommendations. £40 - £250 on ebay from different suppliers, is there anything special about it or will one of the more keenly priced ones be fine?

The cheap unbranded ones seem to be a bit hit and miss so stumping up approx 130 quid for the Bosch part is probably the best option, though I've not heard of any issues with the Bremi mafs that a few people on here have used, and they are considerably cheaper. 

I've got a new Bosch one you can have for £90 if your interested. 

5 hours ago, Natplant said:

When I changed my AOS on my 98 2.5, I had to get a new hose as the top of the AOS is 90degrees different to the replacement, I will try and find the part number.

Thanks that would be great

5 hours ago, PaulQ said:

The cheap unbranded ones seem to be a bit hit and miss so stumping up approx 130 quid for the Bosch part is probably the best option, though I've not heard of any issues with the Bremi mafs that a few people on here have used, and they are considerably cheaper. 

I've got a new Bosch one you can have for £90 if your interested. 

Thanks for the info and offer, may try one of the Bremi ones, incidentally I unplugged the MAF yesterday and took it out and it was way better?

Thanks that would be great

If your AOS is the original one, you need this breather pipe so the new style AOS will fit as the existing pipe is too short. 996 107 279 02 

Just now, Natplant said:

If your AOS is the original one, you need this breather pipe so the new style AOS will fit as the existing pipe is too short. 996 107 279 02 

Sorry try 996.107.145.06

Archived