Chipped Screen

Graham W

I seem to have picked up a small stone chip bottom of the screen on the passenger side.  Autoglass have just been and tried to repair it with the result of increasing the size of the crack.  It now needs a new screen and can't it can't be done be done until 23rd July.  Bugger.  Strangely enough the existing screen is marked Pilkington and as I've had the car from new it seems the OEM one must have been Pilkington and not a Porsche branded one?  

Not sure the windscreens have ever been Porsche branded. The 986 OE was Saint Gobain I think. Looks like they switched to Pilkington for OE unless the OE glass was damaged during delivery and they replaced it with an aftermarket screen which seems unlikely.

Strange, the Autoglass guy was positive that OEM screens were marked with a Porsche logo.  Either way I just hope the refit of screen (whatever brand) doesn't cause any problems.

59 minutes ago, Graham W said:

Strange, the Autoglass guy was positive that OEM screens were marked with a Porsche logo.  Either way I just hope the refit of screen (whatever brand) doesn't cause any problems.

Not that I've seen.  St Gobain on both my Boxsters.   

Looks like Pilkington is Porsche approved

To conclude this sordid issue any reader that has managed to get through this article will be both amused and shocked to hear that the final ‘Porsche Approved’ windscreen was manufactured by Pilkington Glass and was exactly the same as the National Windscreen Pilkington Glass windscreen (by code, part number etc) which was not approved by Porsche in the first instance. 

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1013769

Archived