987 to 240 convertible?

box100

I’ve just posted a clutch query and as there’s some cost coming up on my 2005 133000 mile 987 I’m wondering about trading it in for a 240 convertible. 
I’m really torn on this as I’m so attached to the Boxster, I’ve owned it 11 years and it’s been totally dependable and I absolutely love driving it, but the 240, on paper, looks incredible and think I’d enjoy the torque and an auto. and of course I don’t know reliable / how frequently bills would come in on the Boxster now it’s quite old.

Any thoughts?

Thats a dilemma - is the 240 new or secondhand? If it’s new, you know you’ll get a couple of years with minimal cost. 2%nd hand, it’ll still potentially throw you bills.

you’ll get bills on the Porsche no doubt, but you’ll have depreciation on the 240 so probably not much in it overall, but you will have a newer car with the beemer.

the 240 doesn’t do it for me personally, but can see the attraction. I’d suggest your 987 is still in a reasonable saleable mileage - but once it gets near 150k, the market gets a lot smaller.

8 hours ago, box100 said:

I’ve just posted a clutch query and as there’s some cost coming up on my 2005 133000 mile 987 I’m wondering about trading it in for a 240 convertible. 
I’m really torn on this as I’m so attached to the Boxster, I’ve owned it 11 years and it’s been totally dependable and I absolutely love driving it, but the 240, on paper, looks incredible and think I’d enjoy the torque and an auto. and of course I don’t know reliable / how frequently bills would come in on the Boxster now it’s quite old.

Any thoughts?

There's lots of folks on here who had a boxster before, tried everything else inbetween, regretted it, and got a boxster again now. I'm one of them!

I still wonder what happened to my old 986 gen 2 S - but my 987 gen 2 is just fine 🙂

so if you can, keep the boxster, even if it's in your garage most of the time, you'll be glad you did in 10 years time.

oh and yes, there will be bills as there would be on any 133,000 mile car - and an engine rebuild/fettling likely not too far away inclusive.

but I've had plenty of new modern cars and they have big bills too.... so newness is no guarantee of better reliability or smaller bills I'm afraid.

I had a 2014 M135i (manual) before my 987.2 S (manual). I did everything reasonable to make it a better drive: DMS remap, Quaife LSD, Bilstein then Birds B1 suspension packages. The one thing I miss is the smooth slug of engine torque - it was fabulous. Even if down on power, the Boxster's engine has more character. I would never swap back though, because the BMW never cornered as well as the Boxster does, and always felt front-heavy. I did buy a second car to commute in though, so that might make a difference if you wanted to compromise with one car.

Someone else here happily got an M135i, but finally they didn’t keep it long IIRC. 
what will be your cost to change? Would you contemplate a Boxster of that value? I guess a 981 is in range. 

Two totally different types of car, the only similar thing will be the soft top. Personally I’m not a fan of BMWs in any model and I do think you will get bored of it very quickly.

But the choice is yours 👍

Thanks for the comments, it’s interesting the view of the BMW vs the Boxster despite its massive power / torque. I’ve had the dilemma before and always decided to keep the Boxster - it’s the only car I’ve ever had that has made be actually look forward to the 60 mile drive back from an office I sometimes work at. Hence have kept it eleven years.

I’ll probably pay for the clutch and just hope it keeps running reliably - the engine still sounds like new and uses no oil so perhaps I’ll be lucky.

Archived