passenger side grill

mortzz

hi all im just trying the  desnorkel out and want to ask does the passenger side griil fit slightly different , and doesent sit proud up to the car , only just noticed or is it cus ive not pushed it in enough 

Thanks

1 hour ago, mortzz said:

hi all im just trying the  desnorkel out and want to ask does the passenger side griil fit slightly different , and doesent sit proud up to the car , only just noticed or is it cus ive not pushed it in enough 

Thanks

Both sides are the same for me. I remembered having a little bother getting it to sit right when I took out my snorkel.... oh how that comment can be misconstrued...

I've done a de snorkel on mine a facelift 04 plate and it does sit a little proud 

Apparently they changed it from 2000, the passenger side has a small lip designed to aid airflow which protrudes slightly, my brother in law's 2003 3.2 s is the same 

Face lift vents are body coloured as standard I believe and the frames they sit in are prone to falling apart especially on the off side (right) due to expelling hot air. There are 3 tabs that slide into place with one screw (at the top I think), they're a terrible design to be fair.

The passenger (left side) has a lip on the leading edge which trips the airflow down the side if the car into the intake snorkel giving it the cleanest coolest air possible.  Desnorkleing, whilst sounding, good undoes all this work.

2 hours ago, GmanB said:

Face lift vents are body coloured as standard I believe and the frames they sit in are prone to falling apart especially on the off side (right) due to expelling hot air. There are 3 tabs that slide into place with one screw (at the top I think), they're a terrible design to be fair.

Yes I did think they were not secured in as well as they could be 

32 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The passenger (left side) has a lip on the leading edge which trips the airflow down the side if the car into the intake snorkel giving it the cleanest coolest air possible.  Desnorkleing, whilst sounding, good undoes all this work.

If the lip is designed to channel ait into the intake then I would imagine removing of said snorkel would allow for more air to be cooled into the chamber prior to coming into the intake. That said, Porsche put it on for a reason so I imagine you are correct. 

The intake appears to be designed to allow the airflow tripped from the side of the car by the leading edge lip be slowed by a baffle to fill a space which reduces it's speed and therefore raises the static pressure, also allowing grit, dust and water drops to settle before the snorkel to the airbox draws on this higher static pressure air to give the best quality of airflow into the intake airbox/plenum. 

Other sources of air on the car, such as removing the snorkel without additional work, will be warmer, more turbulent and lower static pressure. I acknowledge that the differences are small but the change in induction noise is the only real benefit from removing the snorkel.

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The intake appears to be designed to allow the airflow tripped from the side of the car by the leading edge lip be slowed by a baffle to fill a space which reduces it's speed and therefore raises the static pressure, also allowing grit, dust and water drops to settle before the snorkel to the airbox draws on this higher static pressure air to give the best quality of airflow into the intake airbox/plenum. 

Other sources of air on the car, such as removing the snorkel without additional work, will be warmer, more turbulent and lower static pressure. I acknowledge that the differences are small but the change in induction noise is the only real benefit from removing the snorkel.

Have you seen the MR2 veilside intake... I'm wondering if increasing the angle of the pod would create more of a forced induction situation 

Just now, Cheddar Bob said:

Have you seen the MR2 veilside intake... I'm wondering if increasing the angle of the pod would create more of a forced induction situation 

I'm not familiar with the veilside intake but I imagine it is some form of scoop/duct.  Its is not really about 'forced' induction unless it goes straight to the intake manifold/plenum think normally aspirated F1 airbox over the driver's head straight in to the inlet trumpets and throttle slides i.e. a lot less duct work than on a 986 or 987.  The best way is to get a buffer or reservoir of fairly slow moving air for the engine to draw on through the intake system.  The fast moving, warmer and more turbulent it is at this point, the lower pressure it 'appears' to be to the engine and the less effective the inlet system is even though the flow will be 'conditioned' more by the intake duct work it is starting from a lower base.  the better static pressure you can achieve the better the quality of the air will be available for the intake to draw on.

Just now, ½cwt said:

I'm not familiar with the veilside intake but I imagine it is some form of scoop/duct.  Its is not really about 'forced' induction unless it goes straight to the intake manifold/plenum think normally aspirated F1 airbox over the driver's head straight in to the inlet trumpets and throttle slides i.e. a lot less duct work than on a 986 or 987.  The best way is to get a buffer or reservoir of fairly slow moving air for the engine to draw on through the intake system.  The fast moving, warmer and more turbulent it is at this point, the lower pressure it 'appears' to be to the engine and the less effective the inlet system is even though the flow will be 'conditioned' more by the intake duct work it is starting from a lower base.  the better static pressure you can achieve the better the quality of the air will be available for the intake to draw on.

The MR2 kit hooks on to a ram air type system. Always looked off to me, but understood why it was there. 

I might do some reading on this, I wonder if a few small changes could lower intake temp a degree or two

Archived