Removing CAT without unbolting supports.........

Berni29

Hi

Is it possible to remove (and replace) the catalytic converter section of the exhaust without dropping/removing the aluminium suspension supports?

All the bolts are fine as it was all off a couple of months ago, but there is a blow somewhere in the cat.

I do not want to undo the suspension bracing as it was a pig to get it all back and lined up.

EDIT: I was thinking of taking this opportunity to de-cat but I am worried about the possible loss of low end torque (lack of back pressure) and poor running because of secondary 02 sensor issues.

Have also cross posted this question on 911uk.com.

Many thanks

Berni

I can only think of @marseille @Mark Shead who have de-catted. One has sold and left the forum and Mark rarely posts. You will find if you can search them out some posts re their exhausts. 

Hi Guys

Its a standard exhaust, and the cat section is held on with three bolts at the flange that connects to the headers (manifold), then two bolts to the rear box, and two bolts that secure the sleeve that goes to the U shaped section.

It was super tight (on the Tip) to get it out but with the roll bar completely disconnected I managed to get it released.

I am going to repair it I hope.

All the best

Berni

If you didn't already know you can get decat pipes on eBay. There are the plain pipes of the versions that look like cats but have no cores. I've got 200cell cats. It runs great but does throw a CEL because of the rear sensors. No issues though and run like this for several years with the previous 100cell cats too. 

Replaced my cat pipe recently and it is do-able but you need to lift the car slightly, put mine on stands to the rear jacking points and was able to thread the cat pipes through ok. didn't need to remove anything to get it out/in.

Hi Shazbot

Why did you need to replace your CAT? Mine is corroded around the o2 sensor under the CAT skin (its double skinned in this area). So I have some welding to do. I used ramps to get mine in the air. The Tip gearbox is a lot bigger than the manual so everything is a bit tighter space wise.

Tks

Berni

I was having trouble getting it through the emissions test and after using a disc cutter to slice the connecting pipes  and oxy acetylene to heat the 6 flange studs, eventually they came out. EEC replacement cats and new Bosch O2 sensors (as the originals were stuck fast) meant that it sailed through the next emissions test.

Hi

So just to bring this thread up to date it is possible to remove the CAT without disturbing the suspension supports. Probably much easier on the manual because there is more room to manoeuvre. I ended up undoing the roll bar. But it's all back together and the car is on the road again.

The reason I took the cat off is because it had cracked and rusted under the second skin. It was a good project to improve welding skills so we cut it apart and welded it all back up. In retrospect the right thing to do is just weld up the second skin to be gas tight.

Anyways. Great to be driving the car again!

Berni

Archived