OBD code reader recommendations?

box100

Hi, I’d be grateful for any OBD recommendations, I want something that will display, and ideally trend, my O2 sensor readings. I have an iPhone and I see there are a lot of apps and a lot of Bluetooth plug in devices, but not sure which combination to go for.

If you buy an ELM327 device, ensure you get one to match your phone, either apple or android. You can also buy a device that works on both for a bit more money  

Torque is the app I use on an android. It’s OK, but takes a bit of research to use it properly.

if you are just after looking for error codes and resets, then there are a lot of free apps that will do that.

I have an iCarsoft V1.0 POR as @iborguk has suggested, but have only used it on my 986 so far.  Not sure how much more there is on a 987 but if you really plane to update to a 981 or other newer Porsche the V2.0 POR would be good to consider. The V1.0 will read and clear codes (not programme) in ALL the main modules unlike a lot of OBD2 which only look at engine/emissions.  Others are better at live data presentation but if you are really serious get a Durametric set up but it is rather more costly.  The iCarsoft also works as an OBD2 reader on all other compatible cars (I've used on step son's Mk1 Focus and wife's Mk6 Golf).  The V2.0 POR will do electric handbrake rewind and other tricks for more modern car but costs a bit more.

I have a couple of obd2 Bluetooth and wireless , I have used a couple of freebie softwares with them - OBD facile, iOBD2, and auto doctor.  All do the job fairly well . 
I have got tired of finding my phone or iPad batteries low when I need them for this so I have an icarsoft  arriving in the next few days so I will keep you posted .

On 8/30/2020 at 3:48 PM, box100 said:

Hi, I’d be grateful for any OBD recommendations, I want something that will display, and ideally trend, my O2 sensor readings. I have an iPhone and I see there are a lot of apps and a lot of Bluetooth plug in devices, but not sure which combination to go for.

Car scanner pro for the iphone is good. You will need that and an OBD bluetooth dongle, about £20 all in. 

57 minutes ago, That986 said:

Car scanner pro for the iphone is good. You will need that and an OBD bluetooth dongle, about £20 all in. 

I appreciate people keep giving good comments on these Bluetooth OBD readers, however the people posting are sometimes looking for more than just engine/emission codes.  Does this unit you use access the ABS and air bag modules for example to reset codes?

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I appreciate people keep giving good comments on these Bluetooth OBD readers, however the people posting are sometimes looking for more than just engine/emission codes.  Does this unit you use access the ABS and air bag modules for example to reset codes?

You're right they definitely won't reset an air bag code, but that's not what the OP asked for.

I use a £5 elm Bluetooth adapter with an old phone using torque lite app and it will show 02 sensor and maf readings, not sure on logging them though but that's probably a limitation of the app rather than the generic dongle.

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I doubt it but it does very from car model to model. I will allow to clear any engine warning codes that come up as well as feeding live data to either a dashboard or a logger, but again it depends on the car and the age. On my MX5 for example i can read a lot of the sensors on there including intake temps, MAF, 02 sensors etc etc.....

If you want to access airbags etc then you really need to spend out on something like Durametric, these are only really for doing basic functions. 

21 minutes ago, That986 said:

I doubt it but it does very from car model to model. I will allow to clear any engine warning codes that come up as well as feeding live data to either a dashboard or a logger, but again it depends on the car and the age. On my MX5 for example i can read a lot of the sensors on there including intake temps, MAF, 02 sensors etc etc.....

If you want to access airbags etc then you really need to spend out on something like Durametric, these are only really for doing basic functions. 

That's why I asked the question.  Many basic readers out there.  Then some more advanced readers of much more of the system and then the full spec stuff like Durametric and ultimately the PIWIS Porsche system.  That is why I ended up in the middle ground as I can access all my 986's (and many other Porsches) systems and all other marques that have compliant OBD2 systems.

Just trying to stop people expecting something they are not going to get with these Bluetooth readers, although many are very good for output of live data and engine only related codes.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:47 PM, ½cwt said:

That's why I asked the question.  Many basic readers out there.  Then some more advanced readers of much more of the system and then the full spec stuff like Durametric and ultimately the PIWIS Porsche system.  That is why I ended up in the middle ground as I can access all my 986's (and many other Porsches) systems and all other marques that have compliant OBD2 systems.

Just trying to stop people expecting something they are not going to get with these Bluetooth readers, although many are very good for output of live data and engine only related codes.

Always worth asking, even if only to manage expectations. There's a good reason these work out around £20 while other systems can be in the thousands. 

Archived