Drop tray replacement

Jord

Title should read drip tray not drip tray........

I picked up my first boxster today and the hood was as a little jumpy on the passenger side. Had a quick look suspecting the ball joint had broken and it had. I’ve ordered a new plastic replacement but the rod has pierced the foam. I’ve just ordered one from Douglas valley but does anyone know how hard they are to replace??

Pic of the aforementioned broken ball joint 

Thanks in advance!

F984426F-0EE8-4C59-BF96-01578DB87C86.jpeg

7 hours ago, JayJay1374 said:

I did one quite a while ago, I can’t remember how we did it was to be honest, might of done it with the roof in service position. Either that or we took the roof off which is surprisingly easy. Only 6 or so bolts. 

Thanks for the reply. I’m hoping in service mode will do and given it’s foam I hope I can get a hand in and fold it all up to pull it out.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

IIRC @the baron did one recently. (apologies Steve if I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time!)

No problem, you can fix them with some waterproof gaffe tape over some silicon seal if you can get to it and your sure that is the cause of the leak.

However if you do get new trays its a roof off job which is not a bad job just a bit time consuming, there is a hack that involves cutting the tray slightly to enable you to install without taking everything out(You will need to google this), its still a roof out job, its all doable but time consuming and ensure you mark up the position of everything so the roof seats properly when re-installing.

Good luck

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

IIRC @the baron did one recently. (apologies Steve if I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time!)

looking at it this morning im gonna say its a roof off job - ive ordered a new one and a 4 layer car cover. for now the rip is on the side so i have used waterproof tape to seal it from any downpours over the next 24 hours before my car cover comes.

6 minutes ago, the baron said:

No problem, you can fix them with some waterproof gaffe tape over some silicon seal if you can get to it and your sure that is the cause of the leak.

However if you do get new trays its a roof off job which is not a bad job just a bit time consuming, there is a hack that involves cutting the tray slightly to enable you to install without taking everything out(You will need to google this), its still a roof out job, its all doable but time consuming and ensure you mark up the position of everything so the roof seats properly when re-installing.

Good luck

Thanks, for the reply! the tear is on the side where the ball joint wripped it - ive taken the arm off and selaed it with waterpoof, super strong gaffer tape which i hope will hold till my car cover comes tomorrow. 

i cleared the drain holes last night too and i found a metal clip, some plastic and ton of organic crud too.

1 hour ago, Sazzy said:

Also if it's the passenger side, make sure you check the interior of the car isn't wet, especially under the seat.

yeah its damp, i caught it early. so i have the carpet up, and im currently drying them. 

5 hours ago, Jord said:

yeah its damp, i caught it early. so i have the carpet up, and im currently drying them. 

The ACU lives under the passenger seat so hopefully ok if you've caught it early. 

Welcome along and congrats on the purchase! :)

As I've had this in the past, as a precautionary measure I put a chamois under the carpet behind the passenger seat, it serves two purposes it will absorb any water if I ever get an issue in the future and secondly it smells great 😂

14 hours ago, Sazzy said:

The ACU lives under the passenger seat so hopefully ok if you've caught it early. 

Welcome along and congrats on the purchase! :)

yeah luckily its not swimming just a bit damp.

Yes it's a roof off job to do it properly.  Not difficult and you will need an extra pair of hands to lift it off. 

If you are buying second hand then check it very carefully.  Perhaps block the outlet, fill with water and leave for a while. 

On 9/2/2020 at 10:38 PM, Jord said:

Or if anyone has seen a guide they can point me too it would be hugely appreciated. 

I had to replace a torn passenger drip tray on my first 986 last year. I'm certainly no spanner man but still managed to do this all on my own using my Fisher-Price tool kit :)

I used the following guide to help me figure out how to do it:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe

It is possible to lift off and re-seat the top on your own but speaking from experience it is a little awkward so I'd advise asking someone to give you a hand with this stage.

TOP TIP: Don't forget to mark up the position of the arms before unbolting them (I did!) :D

Good luck

2 hours ago, Stewart_H said:

I had to replace a torn passenger drip tray on my first 986 last year. I'm certainly no spanner man but still managed to do this all on my own using my Fisher-Price tool kit :)

I used the following guide to help me figure out how to do it:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe

It is possible to lift off and re-seat the top on your own but speaking from experience it is a little awkward so I'd advise asking someone to give you a hand with this stage.

TOP TIP: Don't forget to mark up the position of the arms before unbolting them (I did!) :D

Good luck

Thanks for the guide, thats ideal. Ive just printed it so i can use itas reference.

Archived