Headlamp bulb upgrade?

box100

I have halogens on my 987.1 and wondered if there is a simple reliable direct replacement for the bulbs which are brighter.

I followed a long thread on here about LED’s / HID but they seemed to have consequences of needing drilling affecting self levelling, unreliable operation when cold or not legal.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

• box100 changed the title to Headlamp bulb upgrade?
Just now, PaulQ said:

If you don't want led or hid then your only option is some Nightbreakers or similar. 

In my experience the difference between them is negligible, but worth a try as some say they are much better then standard bulbs. 

8 hours ago, box100 said:

I have halogens on my 987.1 and wondered if there is a simple reliable direct replacement for the bulbs which are brighter.

I followed a long thread on here about LED’s / HID but they seemed to have consequences of needing drilling affecting self levelling, unreliable operation when cold or not legal.

Funnily enough I’ve ordered some of these today, check out the YouTube reviews , a little whiter and brighter , don’t expect a great jump in brightness.

Philips X-treme Vision +130% 12972XVS2 Headlights H7 Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NMEEV9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FvnxFbJGNK472

On paper these seem to have a good balance of a little light uplift and longevity and on the right side of the regs.

Also if you lenses need a refurb that is obviously also a good place to start.

6 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Op doesn't want leds because they are not legal. 

On 9/12/2020 at 6:06 AM, box100 said:

I've fitted both HID and LED to 987. Neither requires drilling. Everything goes inside the headlight and the extra bits can be secured with cable ties. Both worked well in all weather. Both passed a UK MOT. Done at Halfords.  I went to LED on this car because the HID aim was a bit high, with the mains correct. The LEDs are fine - but more expensive than HID, and not so bright.

10 hours ago, box100 said:

Thanks, are these a direct replacement- literally just swapping the bulbs?

Were you glad you changed them?

Yes straight swap. I think find LED mains might be more tricky as space is tight. I rarely drive in the dark so cant comment on their efficiency but much whiter which gives a good look. I also did the fog lights so that when used as DRL's they are whiter too.

Archived