Noisy Porsche Exhaust

Greyanglia

Just seen this on the Honest John website. Own up and what exhaust is it as it sounds a blast 😂

What is the legal limit on car exhaust noise?
When my neighbour fires up his Porsche, it sounds as though an explosion has taken place. Is this noise standard or can it be 'tweaked' in some way? Is there a legal limit to the noise that cars can produce?

Asked on 30 September 2020 by W J Stevenson

andy-polaroid-copy.jpg Answered by Andrew Brady

Porsches can be pretty noisy on start-up. The legal limit is 74 decibels. It won't be more than this unless your neighbour has modified it to make it noisier. It might be worth a civil conversation in the first instance. He might not realise how noisy his car is on the outside, for example, so perhaps could park further away or try to avoid starting it during unsociable hours.

Could well be me with my cheepo Toyosport exhaust and tubular manifolds when I go off for a run at 06:00 at weekends. Neighbour has mentioned he knows when I’m off out🤣. He’s got a V8 Range Rover and a load of petrolhead friends so not really an issue for him👍

2 hours ago, Greyanglia said:

I’m sure it couldn’t possibly be any of us with 987’s. 😉

...erm... well... when I drive down our narrow high street with PSE 'on' and in sport mode (lower gear)... I'm pretty sure I can hear the old sash windows rattle on the way past.....

Older air cooled cars are pretty noisy (no water jacket to dampened down the combustion noise) and didn't have the 74dB limit at time of manufacture  Also newer 911 seem to make more noise than Boxsters, possibly because the back of the engine isn't fence in by the gearbox and back box.

The complainant will be glad he didn't live next door to my old Impreza, even with just an after cat Scoobysport exhaust is was pretty rude.

17 hours ago, frozen said:

...erm... well... when I drive down our narrow high street with PSE 'on' and in sport mode (lower gear)... I'm pretty sure I can hear the old sash windows rattle on the way past.....

They must really rattle if you can hear them over the PSE right next to you. 

I drove a rare old kit car. It squeaked which was a  bit annoying. When one day another pulled in behind me and I could hear his squeaking over mine, I knew he had problems. 

Archived