Exhaust Tip Thoughts

beaks

Hi all,

I'm thinking of changing the tips on my 3.2s to one of the following - 

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-mechanical-parts/porsche-boxster-987-gen-1-mechanical-parts-2005-to-2009/porsche-boxster-987-gen-1-exhausts-2005-to-2009/stainless-steel-twin-tailpipe-tips-porsche-boxster-987-cayman-s-2005-2009.html

or

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-mechanical-parts/porsche-boxster-987-gen-1-mechanical-parts-2005-to-2009/porsche-boxster-987-gen-1-exhausts-2005-to-2009/eurocup-tailpipe-sports-boxster-05-cayman.html

Has anybody had these and able to give some feedback? Would love some photos if possible.

I'm not interested in getting a set welded up at some local garage etc... mainly due to covid and lack of time / inclination!

Cheers in advance,

Ian B

As tips they'll make no physical difference whatsoever, nor sound I believe, so it's simply a question about looks.

(I do like the dual round pipes, but got a Cayman R tip - a nicer junction IMHO, but not nearly so easy to fit as you have to prise the main silencers apart, which can need a load of fasteners loosening - not fun on old cars.  Also double the price of your options!)

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

As tips they'll make no physical difference whatsoever, nor sound I believe, so it's simply a question about looks.

(I do like the dual round pipes, but got a Cayman R tip - a nicer junction IMHO, but not nearly so easy to fit as you have to prise the main silencers apart, which can need a load of fasteners loosening - not fun on old cars.  Also double the price of your options!)

not after any performance or sound gains - I've long since got over myself on that one! (or I've just gotten older...)

yup i have seen the jobs where you have to 'spread' the silencers apart... even though they're a new fit on mine I just won't risk it.

my biggest worry is i'm such an OCD freak, changing anything from OE never sits well with me...

so, if I do buy a set... i'll either be happy or they'll be on sale on here... so somebody will win 😄

cheers,

ian b

• 1 month later...

I swapped mine for genuine porsche 981s tail pipes. Produces a deeper note and pops more on overrun. Had to go into the workshop as silencers had to be loosened where they join to the manifold to provide enough gap to slide out the old and slide on the new tailpipe. Also had to remove spot weld on the clamps of the 981 tailpipe to rotate them 180 degrees to make future adjustment easy. Fit can only be described as perfect on the 987 😁

I bought the one you are looking at from the Porsche shop and it was excellent. Fitted really well, I did sell it on here as I upgraded the exhaust system.

I bought it over the counter at their old shop, I don’t know if you can at the new premises but their Mail order is really slow...

Archived