Where is "garage or servicing" recommendations area?

Dubdubz

Apologies and please delete this Mods - where is the I recommend X garage ? swear I saw something but have gone forum blind this morning?

I'm in Peterborough and I was not very impressed with my local Indy at all, so was looking for another forum tried and tested one....

07 2.7 987 (which is a lot of 7's) 

thanks

Darren

4 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

Apologies and please delete this Mods - where is the I recommend X garage ? swear I saw something but have gone forum blind this morning?

I'm in Peterborough and I was not very impressed with my local Indy at all, so was looking for another forum tried and tested one....

07 2.7 987 (which is a lot of 7's) 

thanks

Darren

Are you thinking of the map which shows indies as well as members?

2 hours ago, invisible said:

Dove House is brilliant. 

ok great - it is a bit of a trek but if they come recommended.

And I am aware of folks that have used my local one with no issues and perhaps I am asking too much? 

If they aren’t delivering what you want them they aren't the outfit for you. 

I have struggled to find an Indy who I trust who doesn’t cost more than the opc. Seems some folks don’t want to question what they are getting. 

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

ok great - it is a bit of a trek but if they come recommended.

And I am aware of folks that have used my local one with no issues and perhaps I am asking too much? 

I'm in a similar palce to you, I used an indy in Wellingborough who comes recommended but didn't feel he cared enough about Boxsters, only really 911s (and possibly air cooled at that), and from some of the costs he gave me, those with deeper pockets too.  No problem with his workmanship and knowledge though.

5 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I'm in a similar palce to you, I used an indy in Wellingborough who comes recommended but didn't feel he cared enough about Boxsters, only really 911s (and possibly air cooled at that), and from some of the costs he gave me, those with deeper pockets too.  No problem with his workmanship and knowledge though.

I am sure others are fine with the place - I wanted a post buy check - admittedly a year after purchase!
But before I do a few mods I wanted to make sure stuff was in good order and I did not need to put money into maintenance first.
The report was very basic and when I asked for a list of what was checked, nothing could be produced. I wanted to know the coolant pipes were good, the suspension had no play, no engine or gbox leaks. I felt and still do that the passenger side is tappety - like a dry lifter type noise - not major loud. Was told couldn't hear it. I know its there and is not on the drivers bank. 
I had to follow up with several emails asking for more info, which really lead to me thinking that I wasted the money and I should have not bothered.
If there had been a checklist that had been ticked, old school and the few items they did find as a summary I think that would have been ok. I even prefaced the whole visit/reason was so that the normal wear and failure items were checked for me

so I would say to service and do repairs that is probably fine and whilst I probably came off as potentially annoying and prescriptive - I paid for 2 hours and wanted a full list of what was checked. I would have paid more for a detailed report...

again its probably me and such a place/service does not exist

• 3 weeks later...

Having just helped a neighbour out with a "Funny Noise" on their Honda CVR, basically I quickly discovered all 4 discs clapped and metal to metal on rear nearside all under the care of a full to schedule dealer service history it reconfirms my utter distrust in the quality of dealer service's in general and I suspect it is hit and miss on the indy front as well. 

For me if the garage is properly equipped is clean and organised and the team are trained  (look at qualifications) and experienced and you get to know them and check their work before trust is built that is your best bet.

Most Porsche cars are not like Hamilton's Mercedes and need Professor Pat Pending to maintain them, best of course if they have worked on said make and model car previously but you can say that about a Renault Clio Et Al. 

My preferred garage is a modest looking place but immaculate at the rear of a Jet Station. It does MOT's will fix Grannies old 20 plus year  Fiesta then sort the latest M5 and when they have chance they refurb and build saloon race cars. Never judge a book by its cover. A Porsche is a mechanical bit of kit not a rare work of art !

Archived