Air Con Gas/Oil - how much?

dpg123

Hello!
Car is off to Kwik-fit tomorrow for a regas. It’s making a whining noise from the rear drivers side in the frunk (left side of battery as you look at it from in front, where the air-con pipes are) so I’m hoping this helps. I’ve replaced the condensers and desiccator a couple of yrs ago (condensers are still perfect as I checked when I had a respray a month ago when the front bumper was off) and the a/c still blows cold. Compressor is quiet so I’m hoping this helps. My question is how much gas and oil I should try to make sure they put in. Is there anything else I should do at the same time?

Thanks! 

Thanks Mike! I remember reading somewhere that because it’s mid-engined and the pipes from the compressor to the condensers are longer than normal it needed more oil than usual. I just wanted to tell them to make sure they knew, but I can’t find where I read that! 

23 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Thanks Mike! I remember reading somewhere that because it’s mid-engined and the pipes from the compressor to the condensers are longer than normal it needed more oil than usual. I just wanted to tell them to make sure they knew, but I can’t find where I read that! 

On the 996 there is a lot more gas than your average car accordingly to my local garage. When I changed the air con rads on mine, Quickfit couldn't do a regas on the car due to Covid (!) which was a shame as my local garage charged a lot just for the gas - thinking double what quick fit charges for everything. However, I had another leak on the car that the pressure machine didn't show and I took it back and they changed one of the low pressure seals and overall, it was a better deal taking it to a good local garage. If yours is holding pressure and running cold, hopefully, it has no leaks and a re-gas will sort the noise.

i had my 2.9 regassed at kwik fit - they just put in "porsche, boxster, engine size" - of course 2.9 wasn't listed - so they went on to the regass units website and got the numbers from there - all good and no drama.

2 hours ago, mike597 said:

They just hook it up to a machine which removes all the existing gas and then regases it. I don't believe that the operator has much input into what the machine does. You should get a readout of what the machine does.

Some machines are as simple as that, but some need more operator input, the machine database should give the operator the amount of gas needed to fill the car , so the machine pulls all the gas out and puts it into a bottle and then the new correct quantity is put in , once the bottle of old gas is full then the old gas is used as new gas, as gas doesn't go off , say to speak.   Scrap yards will now remove the aircon gas from cars and sell it back to garages.

A good garage will fill the system with a dye 1st to make sure the system doesnt have a leak as its a waste of time re-gassing if there's a leak,. maybe worth checking a leak test is carried out as  a lot garages just re-gas without checking there's a leak

54 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

It's done by weight. They just enter the details into a machine and press go. 

I can't believe how much the new gas is compared to the R134a 😲

Prices are a lot closer than you think now... 10 kg of old style was being sold at £59 a bottle to garages in 2017 , it rose to £369 during 2018 ( due to aerosol companies buying all the quotes when aerosol was being banned)  , but prices are dropping back to around £159 a bottle now , whereas a 5kg bottle 1234yf has gone from £649 a bottle in 2017 to currently £289 now.

Scrap yards are now removing gas from old cars and selling it back to the trade

So the car's back from Kwik Fit after the regas (£45 with 10% off using a code that I can't find now) and it's ice cold and stopped the noise coming from the front of the car. Happy days. Just need to survive COVID long enough to benefit from it in the summer!

Archived