70th Anniversary

dunks

On 12/31/2020 at 4:41 PM, Andy Mac said:

Never heard of plates adding owners @Mr96er ? Not in the last 25+ years of my driving anyway. Or we talking olden times?

Is that through DVLA errors? 

I have - I think it used to happen when dvla clerks updated their system incorrectly years ago. In the regional offices (remember those!?)! I’ve owned several cars with a clear ownership history (including plate swaps etc) where the log book stated far more owners that there actually was and it was clearly due to the number plate changes counting as an ownership change.

14 hours ago, Llewelyn said:

I have - I think it used to happen when dvla clerks updated their system incorrectly years ago. In the regional offices (remember those!?)! I’ve owned several cars with a clear ownership history (including plate swaps etc) where the log book stated far more owners that there actually was and it was clearly due to the number plate changes counting as an ownership change.

So DVLA errors... Every days a school day! 👌 

Edit: @Llewelyn out of interest how did you differentiate between number of owners and plate swaps? 

Who’d have thought it eh!

There are a number of reasons depending on the paperwork, dated receipts containing car registrations and owner details are the easiest way.

Something else you used to be able to do but I’m not sure you still can due to GDPR is obtain vehicle history info from the DVLA. You send them a form and £5 and they’d send you copies of their full history of every owner change including owner names and addresses (!!) and every plate change, every letter to or from the DVLA relating to that particular vehicle. Quite fascinating but I think they’ve put a stop to it.

6 hours ago, Llewelyn said:

Something else you used to be able to do but I’m not sure you still can due to GDPR is obtain vehicle history info from the DVLA. You send them a form and £5 and they’d send you copies of their full history of every owner change including owner names and addresses (!!) and every plate change, every letter to or from the DVLA relating to that particular vehicle. Quite fascinating but I think they’ve put a stop to it.

They have definitely stopped this now. I had used this service in the past but when I tried for my current car a couple of years ago, they returned the cheque and pointed at GDPR...

Archived