70th Anniversary

dunks

I would understand if they took a new shell and built from the ground up and registered it as a 2018, but taking an old one, changing the color of it ( which usually devalues cars) and tarting the interior up isn't worth the money as there is no real rebuild history or pictures with it , even the list of work completed and replacement parts states * for guideline only , being cynical I would say that is what Porsche say to do across all the anniversaries but if the part in question is in good condition , then it wont be changed.

You would wonder why after a full engine rebuild and new exhaust system, why did the car fail an mot less than 6 months later on emissions ?

For £30k you can buy a £7k 986 do a full engine rebuild, full suspension rebuild, repaint, tidy up some trim, refurb wheels, refurb brakes, change a few other parts like water pump and alternator and have plenty of change left over. You won't have the cache of "fettled by an OPC" 

12 hours ago, edc said:

For £30k you can buy a £7k 986 do a full engine rebuild, full suspension rebuild, repaint, tidy up some trim, refurb wheels, refurb brakes, change a few other parts like water pump and alternator and have plenty of change left over. You won't have the cache of "fettled by an OPC" 

That's basically it, you spend: (7k car+8k engine rebuild+4k suspension+4-5k paint+1-2k trim+1-2k wheel refurb+brakes, + 1-2k few other parts). Pretty sure if I had that kind of money, I'd prefer Porsche doing the work. Porsche are charging their prices. They do an amazing job with paint and I'm certain that engine would be full factory torgue. It looks good value to me, like basically buying a warrantied(?), practically new 986. 

I think it looks a little too bling for me personally and I certainly don't have that cash to burn. 

This owner also tried to shift the car through collectingcars and it was unsold. Basically the market doesn't value the car at the same level at the price these were originally sold at. 

Also @GmanB Porsche didn't do all the work. Various bits were subcontracted out eg paint. £2k trim and £2k other parts is a bit on the rich side I think. 

Wouldn’t most enthusiasts prefer to take a circa £6k 986S and give Hartech £15k to make it sing? 

keep the £5-6k change for a couple of nice road trips in luxury accommodation. lake Coma via the Alpine routes. And the a Nurburgring trip to properly test the car. 

But we’d likely all spend our money differently, no? 

I remember going to Porsche centre Glasgow to look at the £30K 986 Boxster a couple of years ago and while I thought it looked quite nice I didn’t think they had a hope in hell of selling it for that money. Returned to the centre two weeks later to pick up a couple of parts for my 986 expecting to see the anniversary Boxster still sitting there but to my surprise it was nowhere to be seen, when I asked one of the salesmen about it he told me that one of their regular customers had bought it for his collection. You could have blown me over with a feather 😀

12 hours ago, GmanB said:

That's basically it, you spend: (7k car+8k engine rebuild+4k suspension+4-5k paint+1-2k trim+1-2k wheel refurb+brakes, + 1-2k few other parts). Pretty sure if I had that kind of money, I'd prefer Porsche doing the work. Porsche are charging their prices. They do an amazing job with paint and I'm certain that engine would be full factory torgue. It looks good value to me, like basically buying a warrantied(?), practically new 986. 

I think it looks a little too bling for me personally and I certainly don't have that cash to burn. 

Hmmm I'm not so convinced. These were done by Porsche dealers not the factory in Stuttgart. Having seen a few of them up close they are really no better than something a decent home restorer could achieve and certainly not like an as new Boxster.

2 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Hmmm I'm not so convinced. These were done by Porsche dealers not the factory in Stuttgart. Having seen a few of them up close they are really no better than something a decent home restorer could achieve and certainly not like an as new Boxster.

You could probably double the price to get it done at Stuttgart, however their restorations are in a different league....

Porsche Classic Factory Restoration Stuttgart

Porsche Reference projects

2 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

I remember going to Porsche centre Glasgow to look at the £30K 986 Boxster a couple of years ago and while I thought it looked quite nice I didn’t think they had a hope in hell of selling it for that money. Returned to the centre two weeks later to pick up a couple of parts for my 986 expecting to see the anniversary Boxster still sitting there but to my surprise it was nowhere to be seen, when I asked one of the salesmen about it he told me that one of their regular customers had bought it for his collection. You could have blown me over with a feather 😀

I wouldn't be surprised if this was somebody bagging their place on a GT list. Buy at £30k and trade back in 12-24 months at £15k ish means only a £15k hit and at £30k buy outright rather than finance it. 

Unless your engine is kaput I don't see the value in having a standard rebuild. 

What was done as part of the engine rebuilds on these cars as otherwise it sounds like £1000's k's down the toilet. If it was a full dismantle, inspect and replace where needed, the blueprint build I can almost get it. 

4 minutes ago, edc said:

Unless your engine is kaput I don't see the value in having a standard rebuild. 

What was done as part of the engine rebuilds on these cars as otherwise it sounds like £1000's k's down the toilet. If it was a full dismantle, inspect and replace where needed, the blueprint build I can almost get it. 

Think they just degreased them with gunk then pressure washed it off😁

15 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

11 owners.

There's no getting that gunk off. Like throwing a hotdog down a corridor 

11 owners does seem a lot, considering Porsche could have chosen a different car with fewer miles and less owners at the outset 🤔

1 hour ago, the baron said:

11 owners does seem a lot, considering Porsche could have chosen a different car with fewer miles and less owners at the outset 🤔

Agreed. In the old days, reg transfers counted as new owners due to new v5. I wonder to what extent that plays a part in its history. 

The only car I bought from a forum member, @Llewelyn came with such a comprehensive chronological history file that number of owners wasn’t even an issue. It was clear it had been looked after and that meant more. Of course, I was spending £4K not £30k🤷🏾‍♂️

I would argue there is very little chance many folk could find £26k worth of difference between the two cars though. 

Archived