What I didn’t know

dunks

I’ve just read a wonderful book by Brian Long  about the boxster 986 , and  there’s quite a lot of info in there what I presume isn’t that we’ll known .

Ferry Porsche the Porsche designer and Ceo , was the son of Ferdinand Porsche who created the vw beetle

Boxster’s body panels were made by BMW and then welded together by Porsche 

The 5 speed manual gearbox was taken from the Audi A6

Suburu was responsible for sales and servicing for boxsters in japan

The Finnish production plant wasn’t owned or infact any kind of joint venture , it was a stand alone company that had contracts to build cars for Porsche, Saab and opel

There were more boxsters built in Finland than germany

the boxster was originally to have manual steering with power as an optional extra 

The boxster was available with a cloth interior 

The boxster has a black “ Boxster “ logo on the boot whereas the boxster s has a silver one 

The Boxster performed better in the wind tunnel compared to the Boxster S due to the 3rd radiator opening 

Subtle changes in 2003 you don’t always notice , the switch’s on the centre dash went from being at an angle and gloss black to horizontal and in Matt black . The inner section of the engine side pods became more prominent 

The 550 anniversary has a modified engine and a cocoa roof 

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

As I'm a tight ar*e, any other salient points you wish to share 😎

Try Paul Frere's book on the development story and production models of the 986 and 987 Boxster.... 😉 

On 1/4/2021 at 1:23 PM, Cheddar Bob said:

As I'm a tight ar*e, any other salient points you wish to share 😎

I'll let someone else give you some other useless information🥰🥰

OK, I'll throw you a bone. 

The roof lining for the hood was introduced on the S model in '99 but not on the standard model until '01.

On 1/5/2021 at 6:52 PM, the baron said:

Just received my copy, it does look very comprehensive and very high quality, can't wait to have a read later tonight

Me to, late Xmas present

Archived