RTS (Roof Transport System) owners reviews and how to get one?

BatKing996C4S

Hi, first of all I'll say I'm looking to buy an RTS for my 986, have been looking for one for a good few years now and had no luck so if you have one you are happy to sell or have any leads please let me know.

I was curious if those that have or had an RTS can give me their impressions on the system? My main use for wanting one it to take bikes to the local woodland and maybe a couple of light tasks like grabbing a tree at christmas ect but also curious of the viability for longer journeys, how does it fare for noise at motorway speeds if I wanted to use it with a roof box for picking something large up or going camping occasionally ect?

Any help answering my questions or leads to getting my hands of one would be greatly appreciated.

I have one....

cqiOMWf.jpg

..and love the fact it exists at all - so this one isn't for sale.

In terms of usability - initial fit is straightforward but worth taking your time over.

It mounts in four places as you can tell from the photo above.  If you're using it periodically (other than for an annual skiing trip or the like) then do what I do and leave the screen pillar mounts in place.  Occasionally there's some noise from these but I don't find it intrusive.

When you want to use it then whilst I can refit it on my own it would be quicker to share the work with someone.  

Off the top of my head I reckon in total 20mins two up to install the B point mounts (2 bolts each side behind the doors) and then fit the ready assembled frame (two bolts each side of the car).

I left the rack on all last Winter (with the hardtop as you can see) and whilst there was more wind noise it wasn't intrusive - the more edges and gaps you create on the rack (skis/bikes/trees/domestic partners) the more noise it generates.  There's a load rating for the rack and I think there's an advisory in terms of speed too - can look them up if you think those might be constraints for you.

Remember that with it in place you cannot raise or lower the roof.  If there's one drawback I think it's this - I solved that by fitting the hardtop....

9 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Sadly this is for a 996/997 coupe so not suitable for a 986 Boxster.

Edited by map
Clarification

My car came with one from the factory but was sold off by a previous owner - so they didn't think it worth keeping.

Downsides:

you have to decide whether to install it hood up or hood down. The hood doesn't fold with it fitted;

any dirty object (e.g bike, skis) on the rack will drip either onto the roof or interior.

That said I'd have one to restore it to the car but can't think I'd have occassion use it.

Edited by Boxob

11 minutes ago, iborguk said:

And I think this one is incomplete as it lacks the mounting kit - maybe an OPC could source the body mounting system.

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

Youve got no hope and Bob Hope and Bob’s just left town, 😂 

When I was looking for the RTS I saw this advertised, it’s not complete and you will struggle to find the missing parts so I walked away.

i eventually found one on eBay in the summer that also came with the official Porsche bike racks to attach to the the RTS, I had been looking for around 4yrs, when they come up for sale sale you have to be really quick as they are like hens teeth and go straight away.

I use mine with the hardtop in place like @map as I have a red canvas roof and don’t want anything dripping onto that.

Good luck with search, if you do find one it will only add value to your car so not wasted money

Edited by the baron

53 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Wow that Boxster really does look factory fresh. Not surprising with only 13000kms thought. 

Wish it was in my garage 🙂

6 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

There was definitely one on Ebay last week, as I remember thinking ohhh you don't see them very often.

Yeah, I saw that one, my partner was meant to bid on it while I was at work and forgot. Naturally fairly disappointed since it sold for less than half what I was willing to pay for one.

I used to have one.  Map sums it up pretty well above.

It takes about 20 minutes+ to fit which makes it a pain to use.  I don't like the design of the parts that attach to the A-post.  They push through the seal making a gap, and are a recipe for scratches if you aren't very careful fitting and removing them.  You can leave these parts on permanently but they will make a bit of wind noise and look a bit odd.

The B-post mounts are easy to fit, then the big side pieces can be fitted.  This is really a 2 man job otherwise you risk scratching your paint whilst you fiddle bolts in and hold the part at the same time.  After this, the cross rails can be fitted which is easy enough, albeit time consuming.

Once fitted, it makes significant wind noise, even at fairly moderate speeds.  You get used to this but when you take it off again you really notice.

In the end, after 5 years of owning my Boxster and struggling with both the RTS and later a Bird bike rack, I took the easy option and sold it, to be replaced with a Volvo V70.  Obviously this is a true sports machine with 140bhp from its 2.4 litres.  It does fit a hell of a lot inside though!

IMG_20170626_150242.jpg

3 hours ago, witko999 said:

I used to have one.  Map sums it up pretty well above.

Understood, I guess now it makes sense why they are so rare if they weren't the easiest things to install, nor practical and made a lot of noise can't imagine they sold huge numbers. Thanks for the insight, I was thinking to have the A pillar parts permanently installed as being a black car I figured they wouldn't be hugely noticeable but wind noise as you mention would be a concern. My plan for it would be predominantly just to take the bikes locally in the summer and when I do go biking I go with my partner so the 2 person install wouldn't be much of a concern.

So unfortunately for me I'm still far too curious for simply the novelty of having a go with one and happy to pay the going rate for one without quibble simply to have the chance to try it out if anyones thinking about whether keep theirs or not.

I'm a bit of a sucker for trying everything these cars could do, my 996 now for example has now every tip button position filled around the centre console, radio surround and even added the 4 button targa batwing and I had or if not have retrofitted just about every option but the rain sensor which I plan on doing this summer.

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Paul000000 said:

I have an RTS for sale if anyone is still looking.  I listed it on Facebook Marketplace today 

I just noticed you standing on the car when looking through marketplace lol.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/713186306361532/

He's the link for anyone who maybe interested.

• 4 months later...