Helicoil, any recommendations

Natplant

While doing a front suspension re-build, had great fun with the drop links, if it wasn’t for all the info on here I would never have got them off.  When I have come to refit callipers I have noticed the thread is not great in the hub, has anyone got any recommendations on helicoil, I take it M12 x 1.5 but what length? Most say 16.3mm is this correct.

Thanks In advance 

On 1/30/2019 at 8:54 PM, Jim b said:

FnwvaBn.jpg

Decided it was time to replace front discs and pads as it was advisory on past mot, and skim rear ones as they weren't to bad. Rears went really well only removed 0.5mm to clean them up, finished at 23.5mm with minimum being 22mm. New bolts used and everything went to plan. Caliper bolts on front right were seized, so applied heat and penetrating oil, unfortunately threaded hole was slightly damaged. Made a jig and drilled then taped hole and inserted a helicol to return to M12 x 1.5p.

trJxLPP.jpg

ppBEYCo.jpg

bAUhd4T.jpg

All up and running now.

Replaced discs a couple of years ago and needed to helicoil the hub one side. Noticed your local, so if you need to borrow jig I made to drill and tap them, let me know and I will see if I can dig it out. 

Jim

29 minutes ago, Jim b said:

Replaced discs a couple of years ago and needed to helicoil the hub one side. Noticed your local, so if you need to borrow jig I made to drill and tap them, let me know and I will see if I can dig it out. 

Jim

Thanks, I’ve ordered a helicoil set and new bolts, I’ve removed the hub so I can use my stand drill, I’m hopeful it will drill ok, I’ll be in touch if I struggle. 

Helicoils come in lengths related to diameters 0.75D, 1D, 1.5D, 2D, however in pure engineering terms anything more than 6 full turns of thread engagement is of no additional benefit so on M12 x 1.5 it would be a 9mm or 0.75D helicoli insert minimum.  That said for this application and the depth of the threaded hole in the upright a 1.5D insert might be better.

19 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Helicoils come in lengths related to diameters 0.75D, 1D, 1.5D, 2D, however in pure engineering terms anything more than 6 full turns of thread engagement is of no additional benefit so on M12 x 1.5 it would be a 9mm or 0.75D helicoli insert minimum.  That said for this application and the depth of the threaded hole in the upright a 1.5D insert might be better.

Thanks, that’s what I’ve ordered M12 x 1.5 x 1.5D

Archived