Trim attachment pegs rusting and snapping off

zcacogp

Guys, 

Quickie. My 987 has a number of bits of trim held on with plastic nuts on semi-threaded studs that stick out of the bodywork. I say 'semi-threaded' as the threads aren't as well formed as those on a machined bolt but that doesn't matter as the nut is a soft nylon plastic thing. 

However these studs rust and snap off when you try to remove the plastic nut. I've lost a couple from the undertray fixings underneath my Cayman and broke another couple off in the N/S rear wheel arch when I removed what looks like a plastic heat shield. I can't be the only one to have suffered with this problem - does anyone have a solution? 

Thanks. 

22 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Guys, 

Quickie. My 987 has a number of bits of trim held on with plastic nuts on semi-threaded studs that stick out of the bodywork. I say 'semi-threaded' as the threads aren't as well formed as those on a machined bolt but that doesn't matter as the nut is a soft nylon plastic thing. 

However these studs rust and snap off when you try to remove the plastic nut. I've lost a couple from the undertray fixings underneath my Cayman and broke another couple off in the N/S rear wheel arch when I removed what looks like a plastic heat shield. I can't be the only one to have suffered with this problem - does anyone have a solution? 

Thanks. 

Haven't had any problems. The undertrays on my car are fixed with torx screws and the threaded studs in the arches all seem to be in good condition. Wonder whether it's possible to drill and fix some sort of replacement fixing where the originals have snapped off? Hopefully someone will have an idea for you.

Some have proposed flatting back the rusty or broken ones and bonding on 'big head' type replacement studs.  I've only got two bad ones on my 986 and the undertrays all hold in place OK for now.

Thanks for the answers. 

0.5CWT - by 'Big Head' fasteners I presume you mean something like this? Big Head and Big Price ... do they do the trick? What would you bond them on with - a decent epoxy or something else? I wonder if I can make something similar to do the job? 

Thanks again. 

s-l640.jpg

7 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Thanks for the answers. 

0.5CWT - by 'Big Head' fasteners I presume you mean something like this? Big Head and Big Price ... do they do the trick? What would you bond them on with - a decent epoxy or something else? I wonder if I can make something similar to do the job? 

Thanks again. 

s-l640.jpg

They work out about 50p each but you usually have to buy a large quantity (100).

I could do with a couple so perhaps there is an opportunity for a group buy?

I used the big head fasteners to replace a couple of the plastic nut studs that had sheared off, cleaned the area and used an epoxy glue which worked perfectly that was 2 years ago and I have had no problems 

my brother told me a handy tip to remove the plastic nuts he said to use a Stanley knife and cut the nuts along their full length and they just fall off with no stress to the studs. New nuts are just pennies from OPC

Archived