More leaks - running out of ideas.....

marcusjd

Dear all. I'd like some advise on water getting into my car (2004 986S) really thought i'd solved this last summer with clearance of ALL drains and channels as follows:

Rear 'main' drains under clamshell..: cleared with trombone brush, watered through and foam inserts inspected, deemed good.

Rear 'hidden' Clamshell holes cleared and checked.

Rear 'Beam' under folding window / rear portion inspected / cleaned.

Front Drains cleared and the rubber 'duck-bill' type valve removed (lots of info around the actual performance of these.. and whether to keep / remove.. so removed)

Pollen / cabin filter checked for moisture. All OK.

So the car has sat on my driveway with a 'Custom Cover' half cover on since mid- December (removed weekly for a run, dependent on weather) and has been protected through the recent downpours and all the snow....

BUT it's now wet behind the passenger seat and the passenger carpet footwell. (i've checked the alarm module well under the seat, this is dry...)

I've dropped a pic of the cover in position (taken last year..) for reference. The car sit on my driveway, nose angled slightly upwards.

Anyone offer any help or advice..?

Thanks in advance

car.JPG

43 minutes ago, marcusjd said:

Dear all. I'd like some advise on water getting into my car (2004 986S) really thought i'd solved this last summer with clearance of ALL drains and channels as follows:

Rear 'main' drains under clamshell..: cleared with trombone brush, watered through and foam inserts inspected, deemed good.

Rear 'hidden' Clamshell holes cleared and checked.

Rear 'Beam' under folding window / rear portion inspected / cleaned.

Front Drains cleared and the rubber 'duck-bill' type valve removed (lots of info around the actual performance of these.. and whether to keep / remove.. so removed)

Pollen / cabin filter checked for moisture. All OK.

So the car has sat on my driveway with a 'Custom Cover' half cover on since mid- December (removed weekly for a run, dependent on weather) and has been protected through the recent downpours and all the snow....

BUT it's now wet behind the passenger seat and the passenger carpet footwell. (i've checked the alarm module well under the seat, this is dry...)

I've dropped a pic of the cover in position (taken last year..) for reference. The car sit on my driveway, nose angled slightly upwards.

Anyone offer any help or advice..?

Thanks in advance

car.JPG

Door membrane?,put some absorbent paper towel along the cill see what it catches.

If it is actually getting past your cover maybe side window rubber seals where they meet the convertible roof.

Also as T11Mike suggested together with paying attention to the seals around the front boot aperture.

Water has been reported to make its way into the cabin via the pollen filter.

No, no glycol smell.  I've checked the pollen filter and it's tray too. no issues.

As the car is always parked 'nose up' on my driveway (easier to connect my extra long battery conditioner through the passenger door) i'm thinking through the firewall / scuttle..

I mentioned in original post that the split grommets (duckbill valves) to drain the battery area have been removed. Does anyone have an idea of how the bulkheads and drainage work for the from of the car..?  maybe this is my issue...

it is wet in the passenger floor well.  i got new mats around Christmas and when i spun in the mat-grip-lock thing, found moisture deep down.

drying it off and removing the water in this climate is going to be a knightmare also..!

41 minutes ago, T11Mike said:

Are there any cable gromits behind the windscreen scuttle by the battery that could be passing ? Or the heater matrix, can you smell glycol?

I found an issue with a metal plate in the bulkhead where the seal had failed and leaked. I mentioned the same to someone on one of the Facebook boxster groups and they had the same problem. I will dig out the post on this 

that would be great, thanks.

As the half cover noted covers the window tops, the seals around the window and the joint between the rear of the hood and the clamshell.. the scuttle area maybe the culprit also as the car is always parked slightly 'nose up'..

I'll see if i can find a picture of the grommets i posted on a previous post - see if this may jog anyone's memory...

these are the battery tray / front drain area grommets. basically a really rough duckbill style one-way valve. They are incredibly bad at letting small quantities of water out... a couple of North American Web sites recommended removing them...due to shoddy performance..

Have i now allowed water to track back on the underside of the horizontal bulkhead..?

Thinking back there has been a case of water finding its way into the cabin via a grommet via the handbrake linkage between the seats behind you-you may have to remove the firewall carpet to inspect this area-i believe there are several grommets serving different items.

I think Boxey11 above is referring to the same issue....

Sorry to hear of your water leak. It’s awful when you can’t find what’s wrong.

I know it’s a different car, but I had a Seat Toledo years ago that kept leaking, it took months to find. It was a door seal that held water at the bottom of the opening. I spotted it when I happened to brake heavy and water poured in from the bottom of the door housing by the hinge. Cured by opening all the doors before I drove it.

I also had a Mitsubishi Spacewagon and found that after putting it through a car wash and had a waterfall appear under the windscreen. Cured by selling the car  

When the weather is a bit better might be worth sitting inside while someone pours water over probable areas.

Best of luck and hope you cure it soon. 

I'll have a look at this.  for note - the car was previously a 'garage queen' by it's previous owners... unfortunately it's been made to 'slum it' as i dont own one... 

I've been chasing waters leaks for the past 3 years since i've owned it, probably never been an issue to the previous owners...

14 minutes ago, marcusjd said:

these are the battery tray / front drain area grommets. basically a really rough duckbill style one-way valve. They are incredibly bad at letting small quantities of water out... a couple of North American Web sites recommended removing them...due to shoddy performance..

Have i now allowed water to track back on the underside of the horizontal bulkhead..?

I decided not to remove these because at least they stop bigger debris getting into the lower scuttle area which could block up the exit holes (or old leaves and other cack getting in there which then just stay damp causing unseen corrosion)

I had a similar elusive but very minor amount of water ingress behind my drivers seat. I also methodically went through all the known problem areas and found it to be that the long rear plastic gutter was just touching one of the foam trays. So instead of the water dripping in, it ran both in and down the underside of the tray. 
I sorted this and have since always parked with the nose slightly downwards so actually the opposite to you. This has totally solved my issues so maybe worth parking the other way just to see if it helps?

Archived