More leaks - running out of ideas.....

marcusjd

Good call - parking the other way - especially as i now think it's coming from the frontal area.

As for the drip 'rail' - yes, i tried that one last year. it's seated / fitting well...

I've been thinking. I saw a smoke pellet, or smoke bomb recently on Wheeler Dealers to try source a leak (don't remember which motor, but pretty sure it was Ant Anstead so more likely US based..)

Has anyone experience with this..? i suppose it would be good if a suspected upper door seal..? but may highlight the fact a 986 has holes / openings everywhere...

I've got exactly the same cover and exactly the same problem ..... small amount of water always appearing behind the passenger seat, which makes a micro fibre cloth "damp but not wringing wet" when it's mopped up.

I would say that mine is parked very level, if anything, slightly nose down but there's not a lot in it.

I also have absolutely no idea where it can be coming in from ....... and have almost given up on it now.

Tempted to drill some drain holes in that floor area when I can get underneath and check to see if the drill bit will come up against anything important when I do.

If you do find it, please let me know.

Just to add to this I have a cover on mine and when I take it off there is lots of water between the cover and the hood which I assume is condensation ? I have now left it off so that the hood can breathe.

I also get a small drip from the drivers window which I think needs adjusting. I have booked it in for a service soon so will ask them to take a look at.

51 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

Just to add to this I have a cover on mine and when I take it off there is lots of water between the cover and the hood which I assume is condensation ? I have now left it off so that the hood can breathe.

I also get a small drip from the drivers window which I think needs adjusting. I have booked it in for a service soon so will ask them to take a look at.

Defeats the purpose of having a cover doesn't it! 

On 1/27/2021 at 4:58 PM, shiftspark said:

On 1/27/2021 at 5:50 PM, edc said:

Defeats the purpose of having a cover doesn't it! 

Is it a breathable cover?  Many cheaper ones aren't. I have a premium Cabrio Shied half cover and get only the slightest hint of moisture under it (as long as the hood was dry when it went on) if there are any bubbles of ridges in it when it was fitted even if the hood is drenched on the outside.

I understand that you have a cover, I was having a similar issue with a mystery leak under my cover.  It turned out my door glass was not sealing completely against the seal at the rear.  I typically found wet carpeting behind the seat and on the floor, not puddles just wet carpet.  I live in a very wet area and heavy rain will often get thru the seams in the cover which are over the door.

All it took to fix my issue was removing a rubber cap and making a few of turns of the adjusting screw at the bottom of the door to raise the glass slightly.  I found the leak by putting a piece of paper between the glass and the seaI at various places around the window.  When I put the paper between the glass and the seal at the rear it would slide out almost on its own with no pulling from me.  I followed the instructions in the 101 Projects book for window regulator replacement/adjustment.

No need to pay someone to make the adjustment it's quick and very easy!  The instructions are also available on the Pelican web site.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the door membranes.  The mirrors are exposed through your cover and plenty of water can come through the mirror and its housing.  I did a watering can test on mine when I had the door trims off, and loads of water comes through the mirror.  If the membrane is doing its job the water just drains out of the bottom of the door.  If it's not, some of it will get into the car.  The easy way to tell is too feel along the bottom of the door cards.  If they're wet then you'll know.

Good call.  I'll have a look.  Just need for a spell of dry weather though.  And just for good measure, my other car.. my 'daily' has started with a water leak too. 

Joy.

I suspect Pano Roof drains.. typical VW trait by all accounts

update... had a good 'poke around' the car's interior the other day.. the bottom of the passenger door card (carpeted area) was wet. Never noticed this before, and have previously investigated this area too...?? My thinking is that it drains into the floor carpet quickly, leaving the door card carpet dry..???

So tomorrow's task is to remove the door trim/card and investigate. The service history states a window regulator replacement in the cars past, doesn't state which side though. This may be the culprit.  I aim to check for tears and gaps in the foam.  Anything else to look for while i'm in there..?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Marcus

Interesting thread Marcus, hope you get it sorted. Mine is garaged but I still put 2x1 kilo bags of silica in the car and microwave them every couple of days. They always steam a little. Convertibles and water ingress are no strangers. 

1 hour ago, marcusjd said:

update... had a good 'poke around' the car's interior the other day.. the bottom of the passenger door card (carpeted area) was wet. Never noticed this before, and have previously investigated this area too...?? My thinking is that it drains into the floor carpet quickly, leaving the door card carpet dry..???

So tomorrow's task is to remove the door trim/card and investigate. The service history states a window regulator replacement in the cars past, doesn't state which side though. This may be the culprit.  I aim to check for tears and gaps in the foam.  Anything else to look for while i'm in there..?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Marcus

Great job to finally find the potential leak. Hopefully that is the one

Had a similar problem on my mk1 mx5 where I was getting lots of condensation even after clearing all the drains - i found it was because the carpets were still wet, so moisture levels were still high, even with the drains clear, which meant the inside of the rear window was getting heavy condensation overnight, dripping onto the rear carpet in a never ending cycle. removed the wet carpets, dried everything out inside and refitted the carpets once dry and it made a massive difference.

So maybe worth removing any damp carpets as well

good thinking. weather depending - i'll remove the passenger seat, lift the carpet best i can (I've read on here that others have done similar..) to remove some water.

We just need a good spring and summer now to dry it thoroughly..

Archived