Warranty renewal during lockdown

Kevin G

Not looking to start a new discussion of the pros and cons of Porsche warranty just presenting this for information 😄

My OPC warranty is due for renewal 1 March when car is 7 years old so contacted Silverstone to find out the state of play during lockdown.  The good news is Porsche has dispensed with the pre warranty £260 111 point check. As I’m renewing an existing warranty and car has Porsche service record I can renew with them via email.  All they require is photo of V5 to give proof of ownership, proof of identity eg photo of driving license and photo of dash showing mileage.  Cost for two years £1170.

5 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Not looking to start a new discussion of the pros and cons of Porsche warranty just presenting this for information 😄

My OPC warranty is due for renewal 1 March when car is 7 years old so contacted Silverstone to find out the state of play during lockdown.  The good news is Porsche has dispensed with the pre warranty £260 111 point check. As I’m renewing an existing warranty and car has Porsche service record I can renew with them via email.  All they require is photo of V5 to give proof of ownership, proof of identity eg photo of driving license and photo of dash showing mileage.  Cost for two years £1170.

good news for you, glad about that but it riles me that they are only doing it because it suits them (not you) and to help them to stay in business

FWIW Silverstone was my OPC before I jumped to Indies (also 3 cars bought there)

2 hours ago, TV8 said:

That seems a fair way to deal with it. Looking at your car details, three Porsches and have you always used Silverstone?

First was 986 2 years old and bought from Paragon, second 987 new from OPC Sutton Coldfield and third 981 new from Silverstone.

Touching wood I’ve been fortunate in only once having to use OPC warranty on 987. Foolishly I took it to Reading who tried to say it was wear and tear of coffin arm at  2 years.  After strenuous discussion they agreed to pay the full cost. That was in 2009.

@Kevin G as you bought it new, you have been a good customer to them, so pretty good I would say. They can still take cars in if they want to but might have staff on furlough, so keeping supply matched to demand has saved you a few ££s. 

My local car place has a garage attached that does general work and the main employed mechanic would rather be on furlough at 80% money than working all the time for 20% more....

@TV8 the impression I had from Silverstone was that Porsche were doing this nationally, it wasn’t only a Silverstone deal during lockdown. 

I have my renewal due also on 1st March.  The removal of the inspection charge applies, as you say, if you already have your car in warranty and fully up with servicing.   I have a 6 year service due at the same time so mine will be renewed at the same time.  This is something that’s been in place since last autumn, hopefully it will be maintained post COVID as the charge has always been a con for those already in warranty.

Just had a quote from Sheffield OPC on the warranty extension, they also say no need to inspect the vehicle and quoted :

"The cost for a 1 year renewal is £660.00 and the 2 is £1190.00."

11 minutes ago, CMA said:

Just had a quote from Sheffield OPC on the warranty extension, they also say no need to inspect the vehicle and quoted :

"The cost for a 1 year renewal is £660.00 and the 2 is £1190.00."

Yeh same price they quoted me (and same from Stockport) with an extra £285 for 2 years roadside assistance etc.

Archived