Air oil seperater

Tritonkev

@Tritonkev the members on here seem to recommend only using the genuine Porsche part, as I believe the copies seem to fail quickly. My indie would only fit an original when I had mine done.

Have you done the vacuum test by undoing the oil filler cap with the engine running. If you find it hard to undo and there is a lot of vacuum then air oil separator may be knackered. If no vacuum then possibly look elsewhere. 
I had mine replaced and it still smokes if left for a few days after a hard run, and there is no vacuum at the filler cap

Hi Tritonkev

The bellows on the bottom of my AOS had split / perished and leaking, replaced with one your thinking of, it has been fine, replaced in May last year ( I drive my car hard as its only for fun!) no problem whatsoever in fact it sorted out a couple of issues. I fitted it myself and I'm not a mechanic and it took about an hour and a bit to do, it was not that difficult just take your time its only a bit fiddly. Just get rid of the bottom bellows clip and use a jubilee clip angled to face you and tighten up in all honesty it wasn't bad to do, yes it tight but if your patient you will get there. The replacement AOS fitted perfectly and had done well over a 1000 miles.

Fiddly to fit, but only as access is tricky. I’ve changed one on a 986 with the car on ramps, lying on the driveway.

I wouldn’t be wanting to change one unnecessarily though, as above check for vacuum on the oil filler cap to diagnose.

Sometimes the flat six will puff a bit of smoke on start up... 

On 2/5/2021 at 7:25 AM, Tritonkev said:

How can I get a part no. Without taking the aos off first

Remove the inner rear wheel arch liner and you'll  see the aos if you look up in towards the engine.  I managed to take photos of mine with my phone and got the part number that way.

2 hours ago, Tritonkev said:

Just a thought my boxter had a porsche replacement engine at some point post 2005 I believe as it has the large ims bearing so would the aos be different isee the early ones bolt on from the side and the later bolt on from the top 

If you are not sure of the engine check the engine number with your OPC to get it's spec, but if it was an official engine replacement it should have a motor from the same year as the car and I believe have an X in the engine number.  If noting else part way through the life of the 986 the variocam system changed from a step to a continuously variable system controlled by an updated DME and the large IMS would be a 987 motor IIRC... worth checking out.

A 986 S engine number should start 67n where n would be Y - 2000, 1 - 2001, 2 - 2002, 3 - 2003 & 4 - 2004.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, ½cwt said:

If you are not sure of the engine check the engine number with your OPC to get it's spec, but if it was an official engine replacement it should have a motor from the same year as the car and I believe have an X in the engine number.  If noting else part way through the life of the 986 the variocam system changed from a step to a continuously variable system controlled by an updated DME and the large IMS would be a 987 motor IIRC... worth checking out.

A 986 S engine number should start 67n where n would be Y - 2000, 1 - 2001, 2 - 2002, 3 - 2003 & 4 - 2004.

It's definitely the biggest ims bearing when I had the clutch done scs told me then where is the engine no. 

5 hours ago, Tritonkev said:

where is the engine no. 

On your V5 hopefully.... but just above where the oil pan is bolted to the bottom of the crankcase on the right side of the engine.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:56 AM, Pordave said:

Have you done the vacuum test by undoing the oil filler cap with the engine running. If you find it hard to undo and there is a lot of vacuum then air oil separator may be knackered. If no vacuum then possibly look elsewhere. 
I had mine replaced and it still smokes if left for a few days after a hard run, and there is no vacuum at the filler cap

I've just done this test because of the puff of smoke on start up and found there is a very strong vacuum and the engine ran roughly with the oil cap removed. Is this a sure sign the AOS needs changing, anything else to check?

Thanks 

Archived