To K&N or not to K&N, that is the question

Patrick1964

A year or so ago I picked up a second hand exhaust system and the chap threw in a new K&N air filter which he’d bought but never fitted.

I know opinions around these filters vary, mainly due to the possibility of oil from the filter contaminating the MAF. Does anyone have experience of using one on their 987 ? Mine is a 3.2, i don’t know if the intakes are different on 2.7’s or 3.4’s.

Other than you have it so why not use it what are you hoping to get from it. ?

as far as I understand you may get some more intake noise, you probably won’t particularly notice any performance improvement and once every 6 years you save 30 quid or whatever it is vs a replacement filter.  There may be some downsides as you say but I suspect there will be lots of people who have never had an issue 

Personally l wouldn’t bother but there will be many who have a different view. 

39 minutes ago, Patrick1964 said:

A year or so ago I picked up a second hand exhaust system and the chap threw in a new K&N air filter which he’d bought but never fitted.

I know opinions around these filters vary, mainly due to the possibility of oil from the filter contaminating the MAF. Does anyone have experience of using one on their 987 ? Mine is a 3.2, i don’t know if the intakes are different on 2.7’s or 3.4’s.

I've got these on my 981, never had any problem at all. Not sure whether there is any improvement but the state of the paper filters I removed, after only 18k miles made it worthwhile!

Had one on my Subaru for years. Never had any MAF oiling problems, never noticed any more noise or performance. Thinking back I had a Alfa with one in too. Same. I recently fitted a pipercross. That sounds great. Well, I took the plastic thing out of the vent at the same time. That might play a part. I absolutely think the car felt a bit bunged up below 4k with the old one - now it feels like it revs more freely lower down. I could be fooling myself. The old mahle filter was pretty filthy so that might be a factor too.

Sprint filters have a good rap and they're not oiled - you just blow them out to clean them. I couldn't find one in the UK at the time.

Paper filters are designed to get filthy, even taking one out after 2k miles it won't be clean, if it were it wouldn't be doing its job.  Fine atmospheric particles like diesel smoke making it back doesn't mean it is clogged and you should find dust particles and general debris on them.

I have experienced them in a different field, i.e not cars. Personally I had no problems with it, I can't say whether power was gained because the primary reason for fitting it was to gain better air filtration as the oil in it is very efficient in catching dust. However, I have heard from other users that they suffered expensive repairs when droplets of oil managed to find their way into the fuel metering unit, as the oil is very sticky it did block the air metering tubes which necessitate removal and good service/rebuild. 

Archived