Exhaust

Gareth_W

I'm sure this has been covered plenty of times before but I'm going to ask anyway, I'm going to be replacing the rear boxes as one of the has a lovely hole in the top corner, I'm looking at either the top gear valved or the designtek valved, has anyone had one fitted if so what are your thoughts? It's on a 987.1 S 3.2 if that makes any difference.

Hi there Gareth from another Gareth 😂

Yes I fitted the Topgear valved exhaust to my old 987.1 s and it sounded fantastic.

Quite loud with the valves open and not exactly quiet with them closed but a good sound and nice quality. I believe the designtek and the Spyder exhaust are exactly the same as the Topgear and probably all made in the same factory in China.👍

I don’t think you would find it too loud, my Mrs wasn’t keen on it but that’s nothing to go by😂 Valves closed louder than standard but nothing outrageous, valves open at lower speeds was not to bad with a few pops on downshifting. Full throttle valves open was race car loud👍

53 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I don’t think you would find it too loud, my Mrs wasn’t keen on it but that’s nothing to go by😂 Valves closed louder than standard but nothing outrageous, valves open at lower speeds was not to bad with a few pops on downshifting. Full throttle valves open was race car loud👍

Definitely sound the business, and they also mellow once sooted up, or you just get used to it!! My car had a standard Porsche PSE, sold ,then swopped out to the Spyder ,much happier, plus you lose the secondary cats.

I would quite happily have a louder exhaust it's the mrs that will have to get used to it, but the exhaust will have to wait for a bit as man maths has failed me this time, a new set of tyres is in order and a mot test tomorrow, hopefully it passes 🤞

I have fitted the topgear to mine and I love it. I completely agree with Lonewolfgjp - valves closed the sound is great and valves open at lower RPM it sounds awesome, but arguably too loud with the top down when you're gunning it. They are race car loud because with the valves open they are straight through with no silencing at all.

I actually fitted some cut motorcycle baffles to mine to tame the sound a little bit.

When I fitted mine I started a thread and received loads of help and advice from many forum members.

I've had a quick skim through your thread, if I wasn't convinced before I am now. Unfortunately for me the flange bolts are completely corroded (look original, never been touched) so I don't think I will be able to fit it myself so for me I think It will pay to let top gear fit it

I had the DesignTek fitted to mine on Monday so a bit early with lockdown to give really good feedback but initial thoughts are good. It is loud no question but if you keep the revs under around 3k you can be pretty quiet and not draw attention when required. There's a bit of a boom to it rather than a drone when you are partially on the throttle, if you easy on the revs or rev it harder you don't notice this so much.

I'm due to pick up my old exhaust from the Indy and will have it up for sale soon if you or anyone else was considering a Carnewal GT, I'm fairly sure the boxes were in decent condition to warrant sending them to Gert.

2 hours ago, Birney29 said:

Was that the valved or non valved version nick?

Valved. Almost bought a non-valved TopGear off a guy who had installed it for a week or two and then taken it off as too loud. Too many people said the same thing so I bottled it and went for the valved one.

2 hours ago, nick997 said:

Valved. Almost bought a non-valved TopGear off a guy who had installed it for a week or two and then taken it off as too loud. Too many people said the same thing so I bottled it and went for the valved one.

I wouldn't say you bottled it. Now you have a choice of sound. A car that's too load all the time is going to be annoying.

10 minutes ago, dim33 said:

I wouldn't say you bottled it. Now you have a choice of sound. A car that's too load all the time is going to be annoying.

Definitely valved is the way forward 👍

4 hours ago, BoxsterBadBoy said:

Really appreciate if you can confirm the specification for the Halfords one? assume you have xenons as well and the colour matches very well.

I can’t give you the exact bulb details as it was a few years ago but Halfords only did that one and several other members have bought them since. Yes that car had the factory xenon headlights👍

Nice to see my previous thread quoted. I should probably point out that after the video at the end of the post I found out I had a cracked manifold on one side. Welded up it was a bit quieter. 

Great bit of kit. The sound does mellow a bit after some use as initially wounded a bit tinny.

Still love it.

Pretty sure the Top gear and Designtek are the same and I actually bought mine from Cybox. Spyder Performance were doing good deals last time I looked and I think the problem with the valves being open on start up has been resolved now. 

9 hours ago, BoxsterBadBoy said:

Just had these exhaust tips fitted to my 2005 987 from an independent porsche garage. Does anyone know if these are Boxster, cayman or after market exhaust tips?

3F976016-C621-4844-A041-9372982F3AF2.jpeg

70946E5B-2D6C-424A-9650-4FEAEEFCF846.jpeg

Think they are the sports tailpipe option - quite expensive to buy second hand on eBay. I’ve got them on mine after picking up a decent priced set from eBay that had been listed moments before. Look a bit better than the standard D shaped ones on the Boxster S in my opinion.

They are plug and play, i paint my surrounds black as they are normally chrome. I would also recommend the tinted ones as it is very subtle and I regretted buying the clear ones.

It is important to remind you these don’t fit flush, they do stick out a fair bit and I actually went back to the oem fitting with led bulbs 👍

8 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

They are plug and play, i paint my surrounds black as they are normally chrome. I would also recommend the tinted ones as it is very subtle and I regretted buying the clear ones.

It is important to remind you these don’t fit flush, they do stick out a fair bit and I actually went back to the oem fitting with led bulbs 👍

Really appreciate the frank advice, based on this I went for the simple Halfords LED option.. saved a few quid and more like OEM... although I have to say my bulbs still look very yellow compared to the xenons..I think will polish again.. but I think the bulb I purchased is more yellow

B59B6115-0ACE-4C17-B105-C99FB7B346F1.jpeg

22 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Think they are the sports tailpipe option - quite expensive to buy second hand on eBay. I’ve got them on mine after picking up a decent priced set from eBay that had been listed moments before. Look a bit better than the standard D shaped ones on the Boxster S in my opinion.

Thanks I thought it was that one! Now it does sound more sporty or do you all think I am imagining this as all I have done is change the tips, should be no significant change to exhaust sound?

1 hour ago, BoxsterTOMacan said:

Really appreciate the frank advice, based on this I went for the simple Halfords LED option.. saved a few quid and more like OEM... although I have to say my bulbs still look very yellow compared to the xenons..I think will polish again.. but I think the bulb I purchased is more yellow

B59B6115-0ACE-4C17-B105-C99FB7B346F1.jpeg

These are the Christmas tree bulbs i used 

51010296872_244e46ccdd_b.jpg

Archived