Thanks for sharing your knowledge

McDonald

This morning while out shopping, my car key crumbled into several pieces. I managed to clip it back together to drive home but it fell apart again when I took it out of the ignition. Happily, I'd read a thread about a reasonably priced key refurb and noted the details.

https://keyrepair.co.uk/?product_cat=porsche-keys

This afternoon I put the bits into an envelope and posted it off. I've only been reading this forum for about 10 weeks. It's been hugely helpful.

In gratitude please promise to never start a thread about 1. The Royal Family 2. Brexit, 3. Covid 4. People on benefits, sometimes also known as The Royal Family 😁

Within an hour of posting this, I dropped my second key & it promptly fell apart too. With key 1 in the mail & key 2 in pieces, I was glad the car was safely tucked up in the garage. I have reassembled key 2 and will be very careful with it until Key 1 is returned. Assuming the refurb is more robust, Key 2 will soon be posted too. I'm not especially clumsy, so these fragile relics must have reached their natural end. I guess 16 years of good service isn't bad. I'll be sorry to lose the time-locked originality but need functionality for the coming decades.

1 minute ago, Topbox said:

In gratitude please promise to never start a thread about 1. The Royal Family 2. Brexit, 3. Covid 4. People on benefits, sometimes also known as The Royal Family 😁

I promise. But if someone else starts it...

33 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Within an hour of posting this, I dropped my second key & it promptly fell apart too. With key 1 in the mail & key 2 in pieces, I was glad the car was safely tucked up in the garage. I have reassembled key 2 and will be very careful with it until Key 1 is returned. Assuming the refurb is more robust, Key 2 will soon be posted too. I'm not especially clumsy, so these fragile relics must have reached their natural end. I guess 16 years of good service isn't bad. I'll be sorry to lose the time-locked originality but need functionality for the coming decades.

Not sure if you are aware but it’s considered good to get the newer key, I think the 987.2, as the design is different, there is less chance of the buttons being pressed in a tight trousers pocket. 

12 hours ago, McDonald said:

This morning while out shopping, my car key crumbled into several pieces. I managed to clip it back together to drive home but it fell apart again when I took it out of the ignition. Happily, I'd read a thread about a reasonably priced key refurb and noted the details.

https://keyrepair.co.uk/?product_cat=porsche-keys

This afternoon I put the bits into an envelope and posted it off. I've only been reading this forum for about 10 weeks. It's been hugely helpful.

You could save money and time by doing it yourself. You'll find cases on sale on Ebay.

1 minute ago, DaveEFI said:

You could save money and time by doing it yourself. You'll find cases on sale on Ebay.

Bearing in mind how long it took me to reassemble key 2, I'm very happy to have someone else do it. £35.00 incl of postage seems reasonable. I just hope key 1 gets back before key 2 crumbles again.

For those of a cautious disposition you could plan for the loss of a key by taking out insurance, I use keycare, around £27/year for up to £1500 cover I recall. Had to use them a few years ago when I lost my 986 key and they were perfect, covered all the costs associated with the replacement with zero argument - the total claim was in the region of £350. I guess some house and car insurance would also cover this sort of loss but at the cost of some no claims discount.

Keith

987.2 keys are “black”.  Plastics from eBay or Amazon about 14 quid.  A lot of them come with the Porsche badge but don’t say so in the ad (so the logo police don’t hunt them down )

easy swap except for the immobiliser pill.  That apparently requires you to almost destroy the original to get the Rice Krispie out to put in the new shell. Car won’t start without it.  

Archived