Heater Controls

Elmer Fudd

Ok, so I think pretty much all of you have got AC in your 986's apart from me! 😂 How the feck do I relocate the COVH manual heater controls so I can fit a double din? it looks as though the cables etc will re-locate to the bottom console but the control panel will not fit into it, any ideas?

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AivYv-hj_E63glJpUw34uvkG5-TR

13 hours ago, the baron said:

I don’t have AC either, you have got a big job on your hands there, it’s a classic PITA job, and one I’ve not attempted after initial research put me off

Did you find any information? I haven't up to now, but I have ordered another facia which I can possibly use as a donor.

Yep, I've done it. Absolute ballache, unless you are handy with fabrication then I wouldn't even attempt it.

The cables only reach if you trace then back over all the way to the sources and then reroute. Even then you are literally at full length, barely a millimetre left over.

You need to hack to the bottom housing thing, the metal bracket that holds it, the top housing to hold the stereo, and the trickiest bit you need to redesign the fascia that goes around the dials as it's curved so doesn't really work. I filled the rear of it with resin (it's hollow) and then used a bench belt sander to flatten the face of it to remove the curve. The solid resin at the top allowed me to do so without it creating a burned through void. I had left it curved at first but it looked out of place, so after I did all the above I had to either trim or paint it, so I trimmed the lot in leather/vinyl.

It's... yeah, difficult.

3FQr5AF.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

Yep, I've done it. Absolute ballache, unless you are handy with fabrication then I wouldn't even attempt it.

The cables only reach if you trace then back over all the way to the sources and then reroute. Even then you are literally at full length, barely a millimetre left over.

You need to hack to the bottom housing thing, the metal bracket that holds it, the top housing to hold the stereo, and the trickiest bit you need to redesign the fascia that goes around the dials as it's curved so doesn't really work. I filled the rear of it with resin (it's hollow) and then used a bench belt sander to flatten the face of it to remove the curve. The solid resin at the top allowed me to do so without it creating a burned through void. I had left it curved at first but it looked out of place, so after I did all the above I had to either trim or paint it, so I trimmed the lot in leather/vinyl.

It's... yeah, difficult.

3FQr5AF.jpg

Impressive outcome though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

It's... yeah, difficult.

3FQr5AF.jpg

Looks a cracking outcome.

• Like 1

That looks great! Worth the effort and I love the centre console too, where did you get the vinyl/leather and how did you fit it? I've got the console out at the moment and was thinking about spraying it silver to match the paint, but now I might do it similar to yours. How did you do the ashtray delete?

Sorry, so many questions 🤣

Think I got it from Martrim, its a 4 way stretch. Used high temperature spray adhesive, but it's a real chew on, really is. What you need is a high temp contact adhesive that is activated by a hot air gun, that would make life a lot easier and is what the pros use. The problem you have with normal spray or contact ad is that it's sticky straight away, literally one go at it and as the centre console is just bends everywhere it's pretty stressful. If you had that chance to to lay and then reposition, life would be a lot easier.

Ashtray delete was with MDF, resin and 3d printing to make a holder for my stereo controller and the recessed areas for the hand/arm rest.

HY6DJCf.jpg

4yAcNxe.jpg

Edited by SuperPaulie
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Managed to re-locate the heater controls and it came out fairly well, I sprayed the center console/radio trim silver but I don't like it so I've got another console + radio trims and some decent vinyl, thanks for the info SuperPaulie 😉, and I'll cover them at my leisure instead.

fL3koQg.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Managed to re-locate the heater controls and it came out fairly well, I sprayed the center console/radio trim silver but I don't like it so I've got another console + radio trims and some decent vinyl, thanks for the info SuperPaulie 😉, and I'll cover them at my leisure instead.

fL3koQg.jpg

How did you find moving the heater controls? How long a job was it and did you need any parts?

5 hours ago, the baron said:

How did you find moving the heater controls? How long a job was it and did you need any parts?

You need a dremel and a lot of patience, I already had the dash out as I was changing it because it was sun damaged at the front, so it made things slightly easier. You need to un-clip the cables going to the controls, lift them up to disconnect from the dial arms easily and slide the controls out, take pictures so you know which cable goes where. 

Then remove the lower console and detach the side panels etc, using a dremel, other makes are available, slowly open up the top aperture and remove material until you can slide the controls in, I then drilled through the panels and control brackets and used short self tappers to hold it in place. 

Remove the cover from underneath the dash on the passenger side and the ducting going to the air vents, then you will see the cables and where they attach, you need to pull these down and reroute them through the top opening in the metal mounting bracket, the black one is the hardest but you can get it through. 

Now remove the self tappers, slide/jiggle the controls back and attach the black cable first as its the shortest, then the others until they're all good, screw back into place.

I used the pocket that came with my double din kit to go underneath and reshaped it to fit, the original is too big. 

If your 986 is a daily I would get a second hand console and heater controls and take your time. I suppose it took me about 8 hours from start to finish. 

3 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

You need a dremel and a lot of patience, I already had the dash out as I was changing it because it was sun damaged at the front, so it made things slightly easier. You need to un-clip the cables going to the controls, lift them up to disconnect from the dial arms easily and slide the controls out, take pictures so you know which cable goes where. 

Then remove the lower console and detach the side panels etc, using a dremel, other makes are available, slowly open up the top aperture and remove material until you can slide the controls in, I then drilled through the panels and control brackets and used short self tappers to hold it in place. 

Remove the cover from underneath the dash on the passenger side and the ducting going to the air vents, then you will see the cables and where they attach, you need to pull these down and reroute them through the top opening in the metal mounting bracket, the black one is the hardest but you can get it through. 

Now remove the self tappers, slide/jiggle the controls back and attach the black cable first as its the shortest, then the others until they're all good, screw back into place.

I used the pocket that came with my double din kit to go underneath and reshaped it to fit, the original is too big. 

If your 986 is a daily I would get a second hand console and heater controls and take your time. I suppose it took me about 8 hours from start to finish. 

Thanks for the detailed instructions probably not something I’m going to tackle far to involved and I really don’t want to take my dash out. 
I congratulate you on your achievements though it looks great

9 hours ago, the baron said:

Thanks for the detailed instructions probably not something I’m going to tackle far to involved and I really don’t want to take my dash out. 
I congratulate you on your achievements though it looks great

Thanks, you don't need to take the dash out to do it, it was just easier because it was. Totally understand though it is fiddly and time consuming.

You could leave your manual heater controls where they are & install your double din into the center console where the 2 cubby holes or cd holder are located (one of cubby holes goes where single din head unit is under heater controls). Not done in mine yet but have seen it done.

2 hours ago, Chris H1AVFC said:

You could leave your manual heater controls where they are & install your double din into the center console where the 2 cubby holes or cd holder are located (one of cubby holes goes where single din head unit is under heater controls). Not done in mine yet but have seen it done.

I thought about this but came to the conclusion due to the angle of the cubby’s the unit would not slide in all the way.

4 hours ago, Chris H1AVFC said:

Yeah, I thought about that as well, you could get a head unit to fit but I don't think it would look right and the gearstick might get in the way.