Check engine light.

Bradders59

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed my first drive in the Boxster. 3 or 4 miles locally and then 16 miles to work.

Half an hour ago I drove it 200 yards to the gates to let the last person out, and the check engine light came on.

Any common reason for the light to come on ?

I think it was also idling a bit unevenly, but couldnt be certain. 

I have a generic Autel code reader at home. Hoping that might give me some idea when i plug it in tomorrow.

Air leak in the induction system, MAF dirty or failed and crank position failure seem to be commons results after reporting uneven idling and CEL.  First test, run with MAF unplugged and see what happens as if forces the engine on to a default map.

Get it read and then you'll have abetter idea otherwise you'll just get random suggestions. CEL can be triggered by a multitude of things and I'll bet the workshop manual says to read the system with a diagnostic scanner first :)

First thing I discovered was that I had forgotten to replace the oil fill cap when I topped up the engine oil yesterday. Cant see that being the cause of the problem though.

I read the codes and got 0300 0301 0302. Misfire codes, so I imagine, as was suggested, I have coil pack troubles.

Oh well, not really unexpected and I know what I need to do now. 

Thanks for the replies.

Archived