What year did the original steering wheel change to the 3 spoke on the 986?

joeluth

Hi all,

Been looking at a lot of Boxsters,   the original Boxster had a 4 spoke steering wheel with a square-ish center,  later on it changed to a 3 spoke, 

does anyone know when this was?   

Just asking because I thought it was only on the original 2.5,

but looking at potentially buying a 2001 2.7 with that same steering wheel. 

Thanks!

My Jan 2000 S had the 3 spoke wheel. I think it was around this time as the 996 3.4 also had the older wheel. The 3 spoke wheel might even have been an option. 

Thanks all!!

yeah just realised that actually the car was manufactured in 2000, and first registered in Nov 2000.

so it does seem that it was an option in the 2000-2001 models.  that then became standard with the facelift.

It also has a centered digital mph display under the rev counter, like the original boxster, which I always really liked.

I wonder if it has the same ims bearing as the original 2.5, which I believe is less prone to failing, though I can't remember why...

10 minutes ago, joeluth said:

Thanks all!!

yeah just realised that actually the car was manufactured in 2000, and first registered in Nov 2000.

so it does seem that it was an option in the 2000-2001 models.  that then became standard with the facelift.

It also has a centered digital mph display under the rev counter, like the original boxster, which I always really liked.

I wonder if it has the same ims bearing as the original 2.5, which I believe is less prone to failing, though I can't remember why...

2000 manufacture will have the earlier more robust double row IMS bearing.  The bearing type changed to a (less durable or at least more fragile) single row for both 2.7 & 3.2 in the middle of the '01 model year.

Parts catalogue indicates the 4 spoke steering wheel was dropped for the '02 model year as it only shows fitment up to '01.  3 spoke was always an option if not standard.

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

2000 manufacture will have the earlier more robust double row IMS bearing.  The bearing type changed to a (less durable or at least more fragile) single row for both 2.7 & 3.2 in the middle of the '01 model year.

Parts catalogue indicates the 4 spoke steering wheel was dropped for the '02 model year as it only shows fitment up to '01.  3 spoke was always an option if not standard.

Ah I see, thanks man, all very interesting, and good news re dual row IMS in this case.

Well you're all a very helpful lot! thanks!   

rather than start a new thread I'm also trying to identify the wheels, 

anyone know what these alloys are called, or now anything about them?
I'm assuming they were an option too as I don't see many Boxsters with them.

78bde1d678f981c383176f9195699bf9.jpg

3 hours ago, M9G UK said:

Good link, wondered what wheels i had and they are BBS Sport Classic. Cheers 🙂

Yes thanks edc, very handy link, those bbs sport classics are such great looking wheels on a boxster. 

I had the Sport Classic II, same wheel a size bigger and with the split rim. Suits the car well. Prefer them over the Sport Designs. 

Archived