Coding sport design wheel and 4 stalk module

graham964

I think this is the 981 process for Initialising and calibrating the steering-angle sensor

• 􏰀  The steering-angle sensor must be recalibrated on the measuring platform following repairs to or work on the chassis/steering or if the steering-angle sensor/steering column switch is replaced.

• 􏰀  Calibration includes initialisation.

• 􏰀  In order to calibrate the steering-angle sensor correctly, the vehicle must be on the measuring platform, the wheel alignment values must be correct and the steering must be in the straight-ahead position.

• 􏰀  Calibrate the steering-angle sensor by selecting >>Steering wheel electronics>>Maintenance/repairs>>Steering-angle sensor calibration<< in the PIWIS Tester II control unit overview.

The steering-angle sensor must be calibrated using the menu options in PIWIS Tester II 9818 under the specified test conditions:

1. The chassis is adjusted according to Porsche specifications.

2. Switch on ignition.

3. Turn wheels to straight-ahead position (steering wheel in centre position).

4. Turn the steering wheel out of the straight-ahead position (approx. 6°to the left/right) in accordance with the instructions on PIWIS Tester II. Turn the wheels back to the straight-ahead position and follow the instructions on PIWIS Tester II.

5. Calibrate the steering-angle sensor by selecting Maintenance/repairs under Steering wheel electronics using PIWIS Tester II.

6. After successful calibration, the stored fault code is erased from the fault memory. The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.

7. Once you have calibrated the steering-angle sensor, re-teach the electric steering lock settings in two phases.

First phase while the vehicle is stationary with the engine running.
                      Second phase while driving slowly (taking the road conditions into consideration).

In each phase, turn the steering wheel fully to the right and then to the left and hold it at full lock for a short time.

Edited by iborguk

Thanks Paul, Iborg, Spook, Richard and Lonewolf for your help and feedback. I have also done a bit more research and will try a few cycles of lock to lock which matches the road test of the official Porsche set up sent by Iborg. If this doesn't clear it hopefully a half an hour on an opc piwis will sort it.

9 hours ago, iborguk said:

I think this is the 981 process for Initialising and calibrating the steering-angle sensor

Yes it is.

4 hours ago, graham964 said:

will try a few cycles of lock to lock

That needs to be done during the calibration process that iborguk shows.  I doubt it will do anything outside of the calibration routine.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

All sorted although there was one last twist. After coding it all worked apart from the main beam which would not stay on. The stalk on the 4 stalk purchase now on my car was slightly different in that it did not latch whereas my three stalk unit does latch. I ended up taking the 4 stalk unit off the car and again placing it next to the three stalk unit and I decided to simply move the stalk that did latch on the 3 stalk unit across to the 4 stalk unit.

The next stage if you try it is not difficult but you should take lots of pictures. Firstly remove the circuit board on the reverse by removing a few screws and gently prizing the board upwards with a screwdriver. Then take a picture of the contact sliders so that you put them back in the same orientation and then remove them. Have a look at the metal bar/spring that the stalk attaches to and move the wiper stalk around so you can understand how it works. OK you now go to the upper side and remove the stalk, it comes out with very little force. At this stage I then did the same on the other unit to access the other stalk and swapped them over.

Simple solution until I then discovered that I had the same situation after transferring the stalk in that it wouldn't latch. Further investigation required and I discovered it was the actual socket that the stalk connects to is different. The stalks were identical. Ok just pull the socket out from the three stalk unit and we are good to go. Regrettably no I just could not release the socket and didn't want to break anything.

Well bit of a setback but I am developing an in depth knowledge of how to access the stalks so unphased plan b is initiated which was to move the clockspring back to the original three stalk unit and transfer the fourth stalk to the original three stalk unit.

The process

Remove the clockspring from the four stalk unit

Remove the circuit board from the four stalk unit for the wipers and computer control. The method was the same as above with one extra screw and you will now see more contact sliders and a photo is again important to ensure they go back in the right orientation.

Then remove the circuit board on the three stalk unit for the wipers.

Now its time to remove the computer control stalk from the four stalk unit which is done by removing the top cover which is only held in with one or two screws and some clips

Then remove the stalk from this unit

You will then have a clear view of a metal bar which needs to be pulled out (the contact slider mounts on this)

You then need to remove the socket that the stalk mounts in which is attached to the stalk unit chassis. Fortunately a gentle wiggle was all that was required and remount this in the 3 stalk unit along with the metal bar, then the stalk, then the top cover.

You now have to turn it over and remount the contact sliders which you photographed and carefully re attach the circuit board.

Now remount the clockspring.

You have now converted a three stalk to a four stalk unit and heart in mouth all was good when I re attached it to the car with no error messages and a working main beam. Happy days if slightly convoluted and Spook suggested this approach in the first place which I wish I had taken up some time ago.

Applying advanced man maths this took some time to sort out and if I pay myself at £180 an hour I can now buy a PSE!

9 hours ago, graham964 said:

Happy days if slightly convoluted and Spook suggested this approach in the first place which I wish I had taken up some time ago.

Applying advanced man maths this took some time to sort out and if I pay myself at £180 an hour I can now buy a PSE!

You live and learn my friend :)