Removing ARB

BBB

Can the rear anti-roll bar be removed without taking the big alloy plate off? The ARB seems to sit down through the plate, but looks as if it could be done. Mine is very rusty looking so it looks like a great candidate for powder coating.

I presume it would be good to replace the drop links and ARB mounting bushes at the same time, but I'm trying to decide whether to just leave it all alone until a major refurb of the rear suspension is needed.

Drop links can be a nightmare as they seize in the upright casting (aluminium/steel corrosion).  Unless they are knocking just disconnect at the ARB end.  But bushes, cheap enough and easy to change.  You can't get the ARB out of a 986 without dropping the tray and the 987 I was under the other day looked similarly restricted.

If I remember correctly the ARB bar can come out with a bit of a wiggle without removing the bracing.  If the drop links are old then the bolts might be stuck in the hub ... also the hex insert in the ARB bolt end may also be rounded.  Before you take lots of stuff apart see if this is going to be a problem.

Thanks for replies. Nothing wrong in that area, no knocking for example. I just noticed the rust when doing the exhaust. I think I’ll wait until they actually need doing.

Yes, it can be done without removing the tray.

Just finished a refresh on mine and last part to fit was the sway bar, forgot all about it until i noticed it leaning up against the garage wall!

Everything else had been put back together and torqued up, so didn't want to take it all apart again.

• Like 1

The Indy that I use advised of rust on my rear ARB and said that the plate had to be removed to take it off.  However I decided to have a look myself, disconnected the drop links from the end of the ARB then turned it 90 degrees and it was enough to clear everything and came out.  I didn't even jack the car up, just parked it on the end of my drive where the pavement slopes down which gave an extra few inches clearance.  Cleaned off the (surface) rust and repainted in black hammerite which was left to cure overnight before refitting the next day - job done.

• Like 1