Optimate connection?

plynchy

I have a 981 incoming later this week, will be left hooked up to my Optimate whilst I'm at work.

Used to just clip it direct onto the battery on my 996t, is there an easier way to do this on a much more modern car? 

As Scuba said - cig lighter socket is the most convenient way - I use the one in the passenger footwell. They are intelligent on the Boxster - plug a battery conditioner in and it will remain functional with ignition off and car locked, alternatively if you leave something plugged in that will drain the battery it cuts off after c20mins. Clever stuff...

Isn't the battery just under a cover in the front boot?  If so, I always hard wire a connector to the battery and leave the connector outside of the replaced cover.

10 hours ago, Araf said:

Isn't the battery just under a cover in the front boot?  If so, I always hard wire a connector to the battery and leave the connector outside of the replaced cover.

That was the script on the 996. Just looking for different options, if it’s as simple as plugging it in through the 12v socket that’s a better option, easier removal if required when I’m away.

On 981/991 the trickle charger should not be connected directly to both battery terminals; as you will bypass the battery management system.

There is a -ve post on the wiper arm mech (offside) for this; or use the 12v socket in the cabin.🙂

2 hours ago, plynchy said:

Out of curiosity, where do you route the cable if you use the cabin 12v socket?

I route it just where the glass meets top of the door (above door handle); a slight pinch on the cable, but no big problem.

13 hours ago, plynchy said:

Out of curiosity, where do you route the cable if you use the cabin 12v socket?

On the 987 I lay the cable over the passenger side door sill. I don’t think it matters whereabouts along there, but it tends to be towards the rear. The CTEK unit sits on the carpet as it gets slightly warm and I didn't want it on the seat. I have a waterproof box with an extension cable inside. The CTEK plugs in there at the side of the car, and the extension cable runs back to a socket inside the garage.

Archived