997 wheels on 987

26west

Hi all, new 987.1 boxster S owner here. I'm looking at options for changing the wheels, I've seen that 911 wheels will fit with spacers on the rear, width dependant on whether they're from a wide or narrow body.

I've seen a few sets of 18" 997.2 carrera iv wheels locally and was wondering if anyone has these on a 987 and what they'd look like. I can't find any pics. Has anyone here fitted them or seen them on a 987?

b9c4151cec044c37dd750b8aa3de836a.jpg

I can't help other than to say that you will regret it if you are into how the car drives rather than how it looks. 

The smaller and lighter the wheel the better almost any car will drive, especially with 987's. Those standard-fit 17inch ones are really the best if you enjoy how it feels on the road. 

Mine has some sort of aftermarket 18" on it currently with horribly high offset on the rear so anything oem would definatley be an improvement. But yes I have read that wide 911 rears can spoil the handling somewhat, I do very much enjoy how it drives

9 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Why not just stick with OEM 18s for the Cayman/Boxster? The 997s will have the wrong offset and will be too wide.

I've not seen much for sale locally so just looking into options, that's why I ask about them

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

People post wheels, I think it's 50 quid?

Where are you?

Yes I've posted wheels myself many times in the past, not everyone is happy to though so I thought I might look locally first and ask questions

3 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Why not just stick with OEM 18s for the Cayman/Boxster? The 997s will have the wrong offset and will be too wide.

Not quite the same but I have 996 wheels on my 986, off set is much the same as 7mm and 15mm spacers give or take a couple of mm and the bonus of still using standard wheel bolts.

UeCxQNQ.jpg?1 

lzYkJWM.jpg 

8 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Not quite the same but I have 996 wheels on my 986, off set is much the same as 7mm and 15mm spacers give or take a couple of mm and the bonus of still using standard wheel bolts.

UeCxQNQ.jpg?1 

lzYkJWM.jpg 

Looks great what's the specs of the wheels?

1 minute ago, 26west said:

Looks great what's the specs of the wheels?

996/911 GT3 replicas.  I'll look up the exact sizes and post them soon as well as the standard 987 and 997 sizes to help you decide.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

996/911 GT3 replicas.  I'll look up the exact sizes and post them soon as well as the standard 987 and 997 sizes to help you decide.

Standard 986 18" wheels:

8 x 18 ET50 front, 9 x 18 ET52

Wheels in pics above are:

8.5 x 18 ET 52 front, 10 x 18 ET65 rear

Standard 987.1 18" wheels (there are other options):

8 x 18 ET57 front, 9 x 18 ET43 rear

Standard 997.2 18" wheels (again other options):

8 x 18 ET57 front, 11 x 18 ET51 rear

For an 11" rim you'd really need 275 minimum or 285 tyre which will 'over tyre' a 987 a lot, the 986 has wider rear tyres than the 987 so 265 on my rims is the same (although 275 might sit a bit better on the rim next time round) on mine, where the 987 has 235 (IIRC??) as standard. This might be where the plan breaks down.  It should fit but would a tyre that wide be just too much on the rear?

12 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

It should fit but would a tyre that wide be just too much on the rear

This is the question! 

Current rears are 265/35/18, I haven't had them off yet to see what the et is but they sit way too far in. It handles fantastically but the tyres are almost dead so I need to make a decision soon

Screenshot_20210609-230755_Gallery.jpg

5 minutes ago, 26west said:

This is the question! 

Current rears are 265/35/18, I haven't had them off yet to see what the et is but they sit way too far in. It handles fantastically but the tyres are almost dead so I need to make a decision soon

Screenshot_20210609-230755_Gallery.jpg

@Newhart has a video on YT about wheel offsets etc. that might help you out.

Agree with Lennym1984; spacers are going to impact the handling far less than 11" wheels on a 986 I'd think. Same as you perhaps, I'd been trawling through adverts for many months trying to find replacements for my non-OEM wheels (they are not bad at all but it did bother me that they were not genuine Porsche, slightly OC I know lol) and am glad I did not succumb to the temptation of buying wheels which are '...slightly off-fit but look REALLY good..' I bought mine from a dealer in Germany (not the one your photo is from :)) and apart from the slight hassle with the import formalities (all changed since Brexit, of course) I'm very happy with what I got for my money - meaning to say, perhaps shop around a bit more and get wheels that fit technically as well as visually.

Tyres running low - I had the same issue, pressure was on as I needed new tyres while still looking for new wheels. My solution was - got a set of winter wheels (18" Porsche) with good tyres (would not be ideal in June I know, but still viable for a few extra weeks I'd think) to tide me over, so for an extra 400.- I now got a full set of winter wheels and bought myself time to find the exact wheels I wanted. Mind, I probably saved as much as the cost for the winter wheels through buying the summer rims from abroad (spoke with the seller and got him to keep tyres in exchange for free shipping)  :)