987-2 High Level Rear brake light error message and bulb out

Jonttt

I noticed the last time I washed my car that the high level brake light (clear lens) was slightly discoloured in one section towards the drivers side……..I then forgot about it lol…….2 weeks later and I got a high level brake light error message in the car…….on checking sure enough there is one bulb out behind the discoloured section…….I’ve checked and a new clear Porsche unit is c£90 so:

- I presume these are easy to remove

- are they bulbs or LED “strips” that can be replaced or does it require a new unit ? (Presuming the discoloured section can also be corrected.

It does look like moisture has got in there hence the discolouration and failure so I’m guessing a seal has probably gone with age and a new unit is best but just wanted to check options. Also is there a “smoked” version as for the 986 as that may be an option is I need to replace ?

Thanks for any pointers in advance 😉

Easy to remove - its a complete sealed unit - two screws, one each end and a wiring plug. Only gotcha is the holes the screws go into are captive threads in a rubber " plug " that goes into a chassis hole - and you can accidentally push the whole thing into a void you can't get at if you fumble putting the screw in and apply even a gentle amount of pressure to them. So buy a couple of spares when you get the unit - they cost next to nothing.

Mine had water in it when I got the car - I removed it - drilled a small hole to let the water out and left it in the airing cupboard for a few days - then resealed the hole and then went around the seam and touched in a few areas that looked questionable - no repeat after 18 months.

• Like 1

So online prices for the high level brake light range from £70 used to £90-£115 new.......thought I had better check with Chester OPC........c£56+VAT lol........I have ordered it with a list of parts for my 993, mainly undertray clips ....which cost as much ! and got between 5% and 10% off (they actually insisted on a TIPEC membership number this time, maybe tightening up?) ..........I'll get the exact cost when I pick it up 

• Like 1

Good to know it will be a quick job to do 👍

I have been driving the boxster most days in the current good weather ……….it has been fantastic…………changing this light will mean they are all new on the rear 

• Like 1