Aghh! Broken spring quandary - what would you do?

SimonT001

I am planning a trip up to Scotland in the Boxster tomorrow covering 700+ miles in the week but checking a couple of things today with my friendly neighbourhood mechanic we found a rear coil spring is broken (I heard it go at the start of the week but couldn't see anything). There is still half an inch or so of it held in the bottom pan and his opinion is that it can't go anywhere. I've driven it through the week and not noticed any problem, we checked the ride height and it is equal both sides. Does anyone think it will be ok or is it likely to be a problem?

Thanks ...

There is a reason a broken spring is an MOT failure, however people can driver for a long time before even realising it.  I found a broken front spring on mine in Arpil2020 which was 11 months after the last MOT, no idea when it broke!  Once the end of a spring has broken it is unlikely to break again as it takes years or fatigue and corrosion build up to make teh weak point that causes the failure just tot eh point it is always flexing in the spring cup.

However, having refreshed my rear suspension you'll likely need a bit more than just a spring, for a start you should do them in pairs and they come in pairs.  Secondly to get it out you'll most likely need a new drop link(s) as they have a tendency to seize in the upright casting and they act as both the locator and clamp to locate the bottom of the damper, and unless very careful splitting the ball joint a new coffin arm.  If you need a new coffin arm you may well find the inboard camber bolt is seized.  Whilst you are in there it also makes a lot of sense to do the top mount and bump stop as you don't want to be paying to take it all apart twice to fit two fairly cheap parts.  It is a good day's work in a workshop, and then throw in tracking.  It is not a job to do away from home whilst on a road trip even if you have the parts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

There is a reason a broken spring is an MOT failure, however people can driver for a long time before even realising it.  I found a broken front spring on mine in Arpil2020 which was 11 months after the last MOT, no idea when it broke!  Once the end of a spring has broken it is unlikely to break again as it takes years or fatigue and corrosion build up to make teh weak point that causes the failure just tot eh point it is always flexing in the spring cup.

However, having refreshed my rear suspension you'll likely need a bit more than just a spring, for a start you should do them in pairs and they come in pairs.  Secondly to get it out you'll most likely need a new drop link(s) as they have a tendency to seize in the upright casting and they act as both the locator and clamp to locate the bottom of the damper, and unless very careful splitting the ball joint a new coffin arm.  If you need a new coffin arm you may well find the inboard camber bolt is seized.  Whilst you are in there it also makes a lot of sense to do the top mount and bump stop as you don't want to be paying to take it all apart twice to fit two fairly cheap parts.  It is a good day's work in a workshop, and then throw in tracking.  It is not a job to do away from home whilst on a road trip even if you have the parts!

... this is reality. I'm now travelling up with my mates. It was never a road trip as such but its a bloody long way to our far NW destination - Achiltibuie - from where we are tackling various mountains. My original practical reason for driving myself was that I had to be back earlier but that is no longer the case. The drive was going to be a big part of the event for me but not something that means so much to the others - so I'm travelling by Skoda instead!!!

Cheers 1/2cwt. I was going to go back through your posts for what was required but as ever you have provided quite the description above. I was going to do the full suspension refresh in the winter but the car has other ideas, having required new front springs already - but its ok, I used to drive Alfa Romeos ......

• Like 2

On a Mercedes CLS that I have the front spring broke where it sat on the base of the shock absorber-unfortunately together with a loud "BANG" the car dropped so the tyre was just clear of the wheel arch.

Because the spring was tapered at the bottom the spring un-tensioned itself and landed on the lower transverse suspension arm rendering the car un-drivable :-(