987 serviced - big 'to do' list - aircon condenser, oil leak, shock absorbers, brakes...

Daveb975

Thanks all.

I was getting tempted to have a go at the brakes myself as all of the quotes were well in excess of £1k, but I've got a much better quote now, so I'll probably go with that.

I'm assuming that the Srebo discs and Textar pads are a reasonable bet? I've been searching on here and all seem to get some good and some bad comments, but these to to fare quite well overall.

The good news is that the aircon is still feeling nice and cold, so I'll save that job for another time!

4 hours ago, Daveb975 said:

Thanks all.

I was getting tempted to have a go at the brakes myself as all of the quotes were well in excess of £1k, but I've got a much better quote now, so I'll probably go with that.

I'm assuming that the Srebo discs and Textar pads are a reasonable bet? I've been searching on here and all seem to get some good and some bad comments, but these to to fare quite well overall.

The good news is that the aircon is still feeling nice and cold, so I'll save that job for another time!

That's the way to do it on these aging Boxsters, fix what has to be fixed and then have a plan for the tired bits like suspension or any upgrades you might like to have done.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Daveb975 said:

Thanks all.

Would you mind me asking what your quote is for the brakes? Is it for all 4 discs and pads?

On 7/31/2021 at 12:16 PM, Bleedsoff said:

Would you mind me asking what your quote is for the brakes? Is it for all 4 discs and pads?

Sorry, I missed your message.

My best quote is £660 for discs and pads. All of the rest of the Indys were over £1k, and one of them was £1.4k which was approaching the OPCs £1.9k quote.

I'm going to call to book it in tomorrow, but if there are any problems (or if that is just for one pair!) then I'll have to reluctantly go to a local place I know and will supply parts myself.

Edited by Daveb975

£660 isn't a bad fitted price as costing up on Autodoc you are looking at about £450-500 in parts if you include wear sensors to do all round with Brembo/Textar parts.  At about an hour an axle so £80-90 a hour on top to get to the £660.

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

£660 isn't a bad fitted price as costing up on Autodoc you are looking at about £450-500 in parts if you include wear sensors to do all round with Brembo/Textar parts.  At about an hour an axle so £80-90 a hour on top to get to the £660.

Yes, it sounded about right to me, that's what I'd been hoping to pay. They are fitting Srebo/Textar.

I'm still not sure why all of the others were so expensive - all busy I guess so don't need the work.

Edited by Daveb975

Hi, as others have said, the brakes are fairly straightforward. I did mine for about £400 using all Brembo parts. The one headache I had though was the small bolt holding the bracket for the caliper hardline to the hub on the OSF snapping, despite trying to be mega careful to avoid this, meaning a helicoil in my case 

Mine had a drip of oil from the engine gearbox joint, initially thought to be the RMS, fixed by tightening a tensioner. Hopefully you might get lucky.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, Daveb975 said:

My best quote is £660 for discs and pads. All of the rest of the Indys were over £1k, and one of them was £1.4k which was approaching the OPCs £1.9k quote.

I'm going to call to book it in tomorrow, but if there are any problems (or if that is just for one pair!) then I'll have to reluctantly go to a local place I know and will supply parts myself.

Is that £660 at a porsche Indy or a general garage?

Experience says the small retaining bolt is best tackled gently with and impact driver (not impact wrench) using a PH3 tip. Even it is does shear/burr out then drill through the remaining part of the bolt with a 3.8 or 4mm drill bit, then clean the existing thread of swarf that the drill didn't clear with an M6x1 tap and it will be fine without resorting to a helicoil.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2021 at 11:15 AM, Khaa1329 said:

Is that £660 at a porsche Indy or a general garage?

It was a Porsche Indy, but the quote was a mistake in the end and was only for the front brakes so I didn't take it up.

I finally got the brakes done yesterday by a member on here - @TROOPER88who runs www.torqueboxsters.co.uk in Sunbury, Surrey.

I can definitely recommend, he's really knowledgeable on these cars, offered me a choice of any of the OEM brand discs/pads and fitted me in at very short notice. All four discs and pads were replaced for a price very close that what the other Indys wanted just for the fronts.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, Daveb975 said:

That's a good price.  I just did all of mine, myself and parts alone were £410.

Edit - Oh front only 😆

Edited by Skidd

4 minutes ago, Skidd said:

That's a good price.  I just did all of mine, myself and parts alone were £410.

Edit - Oh front only 😆

It was front only from that Indy, but I ended up getting all four done for almost the same price in the end at torqueboxsters.co.uk.

I'm not particularly technically-minded, so I wasn't planning to do the job myself, but I probably would have taken it on if I'd had to have paid £1,200 to get it done!

• Like 1

Good job.  I would expect Trooper with his experience would also be careful of the bleed nipples which can snap in the hands of a garage not prepared for them (a warning too late for this thread but useful to others in future maybe!)