Cigarette Lighter / Power Points

Steve Laming

I wonder if anyone else has an issue with the plug in bit for a Tom Tom.

I plugged my power lead in to the Cig lighter and the little power light didnt come on. The Cig lighter worked perfectly.

I tried it in the centre armrest port and it didn't work there either.

This was especially annoying as I was in France at the time and didn't know how to get to my destination ! Luckily, Ways came to the rescue on the mobile but that uses a lot of phone power, which I couldn't recharge in the car !

Now back home, I tried it in my BMW and it works as it should and powered up the Tom Tom.

Then back into the Cayman and after a lot of faffing around got the adaptor to illuminate. The adaptor is a VERY tight fit and looks like pressing slightly to one side will power up the TT. However, one slight knock or going over a bump in the road will probably make it lose it's connection again.

What do others recommend if they have had this problem?

I borrowed my next door neighbours USB adaptor, but that one was far too loose and again, would not power anything up.

It would be nice to get something sorted as off to Belgium next Sunday !

I don’t think there’s anything special about the TomTom power supply, so you can use any high current USB charger. All three of my sockets work with connectors, so yours could be loose through wear? I have found some really cheap adaptors are loose in other cars, so it’s worth finding one that fits well.

When using anything that requires power and is mounted on the dash I use the socket in the passenger footwell as it keeps the handbrake/gear stick area clear. You might find it works better is it hasn’t been used as much.

@BBB is right. The power lead for a Tom Tom is a standard mini USB connector, so try another. More likely the lead than the cig socket in the car. 

Edited by Pinewood

9 minutes ago, BBB said:

I don’t think there’s anything special about the TomTom power supply, so you can use any high current USB charger. All three of my sockets work with connectors, so yours could be loose through wear? I have found some really cheap adaptors are loose in other cars, so it’s worth finding one that fits well.

When using anything that requires power and is mounted on the dash I use the socket in the passenger footwell as it keeps the handbrake/gear stick area clear. You might find it works better is it hasn’t been used as much.

I had a quick look in mine before I went away. Couldnt find one. What side is it on ? Passenger footwell one that is.

Had a challenge in a different car in a similar way - the tomtom plug just wasn't reaching the bottom effectively - I solved it by getting a decent ( Anker )dual usb adapter and then just using the tomtom cable in the adapter - double adapter meant I could charge my phone as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinewood said:

@BBB is right. The power lead for a Tom Tom is a standard mini USB connector, so try another. More likely the lead than the cig socket in the car. 

It works perfectly in the 986 and the BMW but not the 987 Cayman. As I mentioned before, it is a very tight fit in both Cig socket and the one under the arm rest. 

I will have another look in the passenger footwell. You tube/google first !

1 minute ago, Steve Laming said:

I had a quick look in mine before I went away. Couldnt find one. What side is it on ? Passenger footwell one that is.

Passenger footwell outlet isnt on every car- but if you have it it's on a side of the centre console - high up towards the back - you won't see it from the passenger seat but if you have one then from the passenger side with the door open squat down and look at the centre console - if its there - you will see it.

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Had a challenge in a different car in a similar way - the tomtom plug just wasn't reaching the bottom effectively - I solved it by getting a decent ( Anker )dual usb adapter and then just using the tomtom cable in the adapter - double adapter meant I could charge my phone as well.

Yes, I will possibly go this way with a double adaptor Paul. I will pop down to Halfords and see if I can try a few different ones !

2 minutes ago, Steve Laming said:

Right side of the footwell, so the wires are behind the audio/aircon area.

UPDATE:

Halfords ones are a much looser fit and although the light comes on it quickly goes out again if not held in position.

The fitter chap then got an original Tom Tom one and it was the same as mine, that also had the issues above.

I then put my one back in and if pressure was put on it (towards gear lever) then the light would stay on.

So, just need to find something in the garage to keep the USB plug in the forward position, and Bobs your Uncle (or the chap in the blue Boxster!)

Thanks for all your replies.

Steve

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 12:55 PM, Steve Laming said:

Nope, my car doesnt have this 3rd socket :(

I think they only appeared in the 987.2, my 987.1 doesn't have a socket in the footwell.

The TomTom adapters I have fit okay in both my cigarette socket and the one under the armrest, very odd

I think the 3rd socket presence is related to BOSE or it may be if you have the aux input in the cubby hole then you lose the socket in there.  

I have seen reference to it in 987.1 manuals but I don’t know quite what the combo is to get it or not. 

My none Bose equipped 987.1 has the footwell socket and 2 in the centre console. Must just be luck of the draw. I leave a mini usb adaptor plugged into the footwell one so can charge the phone as required. Remember this one has a smaller fuse than the cigar lighter one in the centre. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sa utah said:

The annoying thing i`ve found with the 987 is when you plug the tyre inflator pump (the one in the front boot) into the wrong 12v outlet in the car.   It blows he fuse meaning your 12v outlet doesn`t work until you get a new fuse.   

Been there done that.... I now have a sticky label on the Porsche inflator which says "use handbrake socket"