Kumhos or Pirellis?

Spuggy

Hi friends

Due to family issues we had to abort our West Country safari and we did the 399 miles back home in a tad over six hours (very short comfort break) and using just £64 worth of fuel!  Bad news is I picked up a rear wheel puncture.  I managed to get home and didnt notice this until the next morning.  Trying to inflate the tyre is futile as I can hear the escaping air so its obvious that this happened very close to home.  Anyway, I was due to change the rear tyres  so I am looking for replacements.  I can get Kumhos for £135 ea or Pirelli P Zeros for £149 ea.  I have Pirellis on the front and rear now.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Spug

Edited by Spuggy
spelling error

What have you got on the fronts? Personally I see Pirelli overall as poor value. Premium price for mediocre performance. 

• Like 1

Pirelli’s aren’t the most popular on here. I know some people who have dumped them for Michelins even though they had life left  

But. If you had them before and didn’t hate them then a matched set probably wins over a mixed set.  

are You looking at kumhos as a better tyre or a cheaper option.  ? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Pirelli’s aren’t the most popular on here. I know some people who have dumped them for Michelins even though they had life left  

But. If you had them before and didn’t hate them then a matched set probably wins over a mixed set.  

are You looking at kumhos as a better tyre or a cheaper option.  ? 

Hi Paul

I havent had any issues with the Pirellis other than they havent lasted as long on the rears as I would have expected.  I have seen good reports about the Kumhos  and I am not precious about having matching front and rears.  The fronts are P Zeros and good for a couple more seasons of my limited mileage.  

S

I may well be seen as a cheapskate but like some others with use limited to weekends and only doing 2,000 miles during a Covid year and 6,000 the year before I decided to stick with new Accelera PH1 from Oponeo at £59 each + £10 fitting. 
My reasoning being, my MOT tester says that modern tyres fare badly due to lack of use or a car being static too long causes sidewall cracks in modern tyres. So if the worst happened I’m still at least £80 a tyre better off then PS4’s
I find these tyres fine for my needs around Derbyshires shyate road surfaces and definitely don’t drive like a nun,

In fact my reaction times have improved!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Dunlop have good reviews and are sometimes offered with buy now pay later from national tyres.

I guess the deciding factor will be your size requirement 🙂

Thanks friend

Dunlop is another option at £141.  I need 265/35 18's  

S

I had the Kumho Ecsta PS91's on mine. Excellent for grip in the dry, no issues in the wet (although I'm loathe to push in wet). Wore out fairly quickly - poss my driving style?. My rears looked down to about 2-3mm after 7000 miles. Price was about 2/3 that of premium brands though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cptspaulding said:

I had the Kumho Ecsta PS91's on mine. Excellent for grip in the dry, no issues in the wet (although I'm loathe to push in wet). Wore out fairly quickly - poss my driving style?. My rears looked down to about 2-3mm after 7000 miles. Price was about 2/3 that of premium brands though.

Thats useful.  I was hoping for a lot more miles than that.  Thanks

S

The order is placed.  Going for the Dunlops from National Tyres.  Downfall is the fitting centre is 25 miles from me and Mrs Spug has suggested we could combine it with a shopping trip to Edinburgh.... This could be more expensive then planned.

Thanks for all your advice

Stay safe

S

I usually go for the best ratings for wet and noise - rather than brand name - had some good experiences with "mid-range" tyres over the years from Avon, Khumo, etc - not been brave enough for the complete ditchfinders like Landsail etc though - especially not on a sports car :)

Just remember to check the date stamps on the tyres when they are fitted (before if you can) as some have experienced quite old tyres being passed off as "new"

37 minutes ago, Spuggy said:

The order is placed.  Going for the Dunlops from National Tyres.  Downfall is the fitting centre is 25 miles from me and Mrs Spug has suggested we could combine it with a shopping trip to Edinburgh.... This could be more expensive then planned.

Thanks for all your advice

Stay safe

S

National Tyres offer "Fit at Home"

1 hour ago, MickH said:

PS4 available in that size on Camskill for £155.  Just need to factor in getting them fitted which is normally about a tenner a corner

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s66p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_265_35_18_265_35R18

That a good price. Kwik Fit is currently £188 fitted but 10% off so £170 fully fitted. 2.6% cashback via Quidco too. 

6 hours ago, cptspaulding said:

Yep, pretty much my experience regarding wear rate, but mine is just for hooning😀 I found them very reassuring in the wet as well. I think mine were the PS71.