Mad idea ? Converting manual to Tip?

Dubdubz

If I could get a complete set of parts - read a car with a dead engine - is this possible?

Guessing there's coding to be done and I know there will be a lot of work and dismantling...I think the biggest issue is likely the clocks/dash in reality?

Yes I could sell and buy a tip, but with prices the way they are I'm not sure if this is a route I want to take...

probably madness and literal the definition of stupidity?

There's quite a few detail differences, driveshaft lengths, rear spring rating, centre front rad to name a few.  Have a detailed read of the parts catalogue to see where 249 variant parts are listed for the Tip transmission.  If you don't have it, download from here:

Porsche Classic Genuine Parts Catalogue - Porsche Great Britain

I think you may have already made your own assessment as to why not to do it - this way lies madness.

It’s indeed the path to insanity but will happily spectate and spend time looking at parts lists to be part of the journey if that’s where you go.  

“you don’t have to be mad to post here ….. but it helps “

sorry lost my laptop to my son for a few days 🙂 and my phone does not have the password saved

It was a lapse in normal thinking...I had a DSG Scirocco and that was pretty ok so felt a Tip car would be the similar

- but no, in answer to one of the replies I have not driven a Tip car - are they a little below par?
Actually I know this a subjective question - so no answers expected 🙂

I like my manual but sometimes its a chore in traffic But do like the fact I choose when the shift happens on the twistyier [sp] bits

so the other reason was I thought it was an option and the donor car I could break and make the parts free....keep my parts...and return to stock if required;But it looks like weeks of work and more differences than expected

And whilst I could make the parts cost add up, my time is not wholly free so I think the Box will stay a man-u-well and I thank you for your brief indulgence in my thought glitch

The Tiptronic is a traditional auto with a torque converter, you need the later PDK to replicate the DSG experience of a mechanical double clutch system, not something that appeared until the 987.2 and a rather expensive proposition to start looking at retro fitting to another car.....

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, Dubdubz said:

If I could get a complete set of parts - read a car with a dead engine - is this possible?

Guessing there's coding to be done and I know there will be a lot of work and dismantling...I think the biggest issue is likely the clocks/dash in reality?

Yes I could sell and buy a tip, but with prices the way they are I'm not sure if this is a route I want to take...

probably madness and literal the definition of stupidity?

Given how many parts would be needed, the only sane way would be to find a complete donor car. And even then, a vast amount of work. Oh - having owned a Tip, the Porsche installation of the ZF 5 HP is the worst I've known in any car that uses it. If you must have an auto, get a PDK.

• Thanks 1