Does anyone recognise this 987 for sale

YorkshireBoxster

9 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

and where's the fun in that - i just see "Shiny shiny" and i'm sold :(

That’s pretty much what I did. Browsed autotrader for months to get an idea of spec and price, eventually found one nearish. It was shiny, some receipts for regular service, seems like a nice seller, my first Porsche...bought the first one I looked at :)

12 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

and where's the fun in that - i just see "Shiny shiny" and i'm sold :(

It's precisely because we're all like that, that I would run it past someone canny. A shiny Boxster sells itself. A unwary buyer can repent at leisure. Davey's experience is a perfect example. He sold his cheaply after it had emptied his pockets because he suddenly had the resources to buy an even shinier example.

The OP owns a Ducati, so he's a man who sees beauty in machines & he's psychologically prepared for Porsche tax. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McDonald said:

Davey's experience is a perfect example. He sold his cheaply after it had emptied his pockets because he suddenly had the resources to buy an even shinier example.

Thanks for reminding me, mate :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Only quoting your earlier contribution in this thread. But you've been all smiles since entering hardtop territory so all's well that ends well.

Yes mate, that smile isn't going anywhere :lol:

The 981 is proving to be a lot cheaper to maintain, partly because it's a lot newer (and therefore much more expensive to buy, of course), and has much lower mileage, with impeccable service history :thumbsup_still:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davey P said:

The 981 is proving to be a lot cheaper to maintain, partly because it's a lot newer (and therefore much more expensive to buy, of course), and has much lower mileage, with impeccable service history :thumbsup_still:

That's called hubris :)

hubris
  • (in Greek tragedy) excessive pride or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

Yes mate, that smile isn't going anywhere :lol:

Yes, but it is getting older by the day...

He smugly exuded his state of hubris may be?  Or pride comes before a fall.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:55 AM, Mattman42 said:

@YorkshireBoxster - if thats your budget range, you might want to look at this one too from the Classified Finds thread - its "only" a 2.7 but sounds like its pretty much sorted and wouldn't need much maintenance

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-PCGB-Concours-Winner-19-Lobster-Claws-61k-Manual-/265442735084?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Ha, *that* is the definition of a well written advert.  He's talking his way into what - at least an extra £2-3k based on that, super strong money for a (admittedly sorted) 2.7.  The book on it must be closer to £9-10k?

On 12/9/2021 at 11:27 AM, ½cwt said:

Budget prices, parts only, for guidance only - Full suspension refresh is in the region of £700 on parts, plus £600 or so if the dampers are required and if you use good after market and OE supplier parts as opposed to buying directly from Porsche.  Aircon condensers and recharge £250-300, cooling system cross over pipes and rads (if required)£800 or so is commonly reported (although these might include labour).  Bonnet/boot gas struts are about £30 each.  Back boxes can be welded if caught soon enough, @987RG can confirm I believe.

Most of this work can be planned over a couple of years to save too much wallet draining in one go.  It is usually estimated on 986s and older 987s to budget around £2k over first couple of years to sort longer term maintenance issues like these.  It helps if you are handy with the spanners as labour needs to be added to this lot.  I have spent most of this amount on my 986 (5 years older and a lot more miles than the 987 you are looking at) over the last 3 years on these types of jobs but I've done pretty much all the work myself. 

As Chris mentions, I had both back boxes welded last month. Top outer corners of both had holes which cost £120 to have welded. This included removal and refitting.

7FF44595-73C9-4B03-BB7C-75C17E01A3B7.jpeg

• Thanks 2