engine life

Piotrbjj

engine less of an issue than suspension, tyres, brake and coolant pipes, clutch etc. - where's the money been spent? if its all gone on reasonable parts around the car, then no issue, but if its been maintained at the lowest possible price with mismatched ditch finders, cheapest parts from ebay "finest qualty garanturd" then you might be buying someone else's " good enough "

whats the MOT history tell you? - if it's turned up for an MOT every year for 5 years with the same advisories then its not been loved.

@the baron is on original 2.5 engine at over 210,000 miles.

As others say there are plenty of other bits that may well need attention, anything with rubber bushes in it i.e. suspension and front engine mount, air con condensers, tyres , brakes, clutch, rear main seal.

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@the baron is on original 2.5 engine at over 210,000 miles.

As others say there are plenty of other bits that may well need attention, anything with rubber bushes in it i.e. suspension and front engine mount, air con condensers, tyres , brakes, clutch, rear main seal.

Hey Baron,

What's the symptoms of a worn failed front engine mount?

34 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Hey Baron,

What's the symptoms of a worn failed front engine mount?

I'll jump in, the gear change gets a bit off and you can feel the mass of the engine rocking back/forward more under power and lift off.  You could think it was clutch related.  It is a fairly easy replacement and make the drive much more refined. If it hasn't been done on your car, at 17/18 years old it probably needs doing as the rubber in the bush will have deteriorated if not started to split and tear.  From the reports I've read here and elsewhere, the need to change seem to be around 80k miles or 15 years if not sooner.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I'll jump in, the gear change gets a bit off and you can feel the mass of the engine rocking back/forward more under power and lift off.  You could think it was clutch related.  It is a fairly easy replacement and make the drive much more refined. If it hasn't been done on your car, at 17/18 years old it probably needs doing as the rubber in the bush will have deteriorated if not started to split and tear.  From the reports I've read here and elsewhere, the need to change seem to be around 80k miles or 15 years if not sooner.

Thanks! I'll have it checked/replaced at the next service. Think my rear shocks need replaced too as the drivers rear wheel tramps if I pull away to "enthusiastically". All other suspension components were replaced a year ago.

Sorry to hijack this thread btw!

15 hours ago, the baron said:

Don’t be scared of high milers or lots of owners, these engines are robust and lots of owners means it’s been spoilt during the honeymoon period

I think as long as they get regular oil changes, the engines are good for high mileages. Mines done almost 160k without any major work, but expect the first thing to go will be something in the valve timing area such as chain guides/variocam.

Didn’t yours have some major work done in this area?

Regular oils changes are key to engine longevity.  If that's not been done, it causes real problems with the chain tensioner guides, one of which requires the engine casings to be split.

Best way to check is pull the oil filter apart when changing the oil, and drop the oil pan completely.  If you've got bits of brown plastic in there it will be variocam pads, if they are black, then the larger blades or IMS chain tensioner paddle could be breaking up.

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I think as long as they get regular oil changes, the engines are good for high mileages. Mines done almost 160k without any major work, but expect the first thing to go will be something in the valve timing area such as chain guides/variocam.

Didn’t yours have some major work done in this area?

No, I thought it did and that was the remote diagnostic I got from Lee at CPS but when I got the car to him it turned out to be a sensor, so relatively cheap fix compared to what it could have been 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...