Giving birth to my 986 once more!

letsmile

Oh yes, and the red light - when I repeated the coolant change yesterday, what I noticed was that when I started the car after starting to add the new coolant, the 'slow flashing' red light came back on. The flashing red light remained on for the whole process of replenishing the coolant. And then, same as yesterday, I turned the car off, restarted, and the red light was no longer on. So on my car at least, it seams like there is some kind of reset that is made when the ignition is turned off 🤔

Finally, yesterday completed the last of the main jobs yesterday which was bleeding the brakes and replacing al the caliper bolts, so now just need to get the new tyres sorted next week I hope, then French equivalent of the MOT! So hopefully imminently back on the road, barring any MOT issues 🤞

Reading the separate post on the issue with brakes, it did get me thinking. I have inspected the brake system and it all visually looks to be in good shape, but after having not been driven for so many years, just wondering if I'm going to get any shocks on the open road. With the brakes in particular, is there anything specifically that is known to fail that I should perhaps also look at replacing, as I'm all for preventative measures??? Appreciate any feedback and experience 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Back of the discs are notorious for corrosion. As are the brake lines where they are held by Pclips, I think. 

Front rear line can corrode where it is clipped to the underside of the body, particularly if used in winter when roads are salted.  Also the hard line from the end of the flexi hoses to the calipers.  Given the age of the car and that you are recommissioning it a full strip and fresh seals in the calipers and possibly master cylinder might not be a bad plan in the near future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Front rear line can corrode where it is clipped to the underside of the body, particularly if used in winter when roads are salted.  Also the hard line from the end of the flexi hoses to the calipers.  Given the age of the car and that you are recommissioning it a full strip and fresh seals in the calipers and possibly master cylinder might not be a bad plan in the near future.

Fortunately the car hasn't really seen much in the way of Winter weather and salty roads, so no signs of rust anywhere, but good points, and think I'll put this down on the 'Winter to do list' - thanks alot for the input 👍

Finally booked the car in for the equivalent of the MOT next Tuesday, so now just need to get the insurance and tyres sorted out. I previously did the research but now need to revisit it all to get finalised!

Re the tyres, after all the trawling on the net, it seems like the best ‘value’ is looking like the goodyear eagle f1 assymetric’s. For some reason I can get the assymetric 5’s for the front tyres 205/50 R17 Y, but can only get the rears with assymetric 2’s for 255/40 R17 Y. Very strange as I’ve looked high and low over here. The goodyears come in at 580€ fitted for all wheels, whereas the other contenders PS2’s come in at over 800€ fitted, so quite some difference.

I’ve looked on the net to see if any issues with mixing the 2’s and 5’s and from what I can understand, it’s ok as long as you have the same type on the same axle. Before taking the plunge, which I need to do later today/tomorrow morning, I’d certainly welcome any comments on this particular point - cheers👍👍

Just rebled the brakes as thought there was too much travel the first time around, despite having lovely clean brake fluid coming through with absolutely no air bubbles! Anyway, just put foot on brake pedal again and the travel is the same. Am I being paranoid, but I’m sure the travel wasn’t as much before I bled them - very strange. Haven’t been on the open road yet as the first voyage is planned for Friday’s tyre change.

I inspected all the hoses, lines and master cylinder and all seem perfect, so at a real loss as to what the issue can be. Is it related to the new disks and pads??? Very strange 🤔🤔

If you press and hold on the pedal once you have drained the servo, does the pedal continue to go down?, If so master cylinder seal could be leaking fluid back past it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

If you press and hold on the pedal once you have drained the servo, does the pedal continue to go down?, If so master cylinder seal could be leaking fluid back past it.

The pedal stays firm after I press it down. I just feel it goes too far down, especially when I compare it to my bmw. 

Try wedging the pedal down overnight, so the brake pedal is as pushed down as far as you can get it. This constant pressure on the brake fluid makes any remaining air bubbles really small. Then rebleed the brakes and any big bubbles that were trapped are nice and small and escape easily. 

You may even find an improvement without another cycle of bleeding.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 2:06 PM, Menoporsche said:

Back of the discs are notorious for corrosion. As are the brake lines where they are held by Pclips, I think. 

All I can say is WOW 😊 got the car insured yesterday and just taken the car on the road for the first time in 14 years to get new tyres fitted, ahead of next Tuesday’s MOT equivalent. The car was absolutely marvellous - road holding was great and gave it alot of beans, after initially limping to the garage earlier with 20 year old tyres on 😱 I’ve had a smile on my face all afternoon 😁

Thanks to everyone who’s provided valuable input over the last months - it has been very much appreciated - I’ve gone from never having done any work on the car to doing absolutely everything to get it refreshed - highly highly satisfying 😁

And seems like the brakes are now ok and working very well after following the recent advice 😁👍

52119917771_a96076ed4e_b.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, letsmile said:

All I can say is WOW 😊 got the car insured yesterday and just taken the car on the road for the first time in 14 years to get new tyres fitted, ahead of next Tuesday’s MOT equivalent. The car was absolutely marvellous - road holding was great and gave it alot of beans, after initially limping to the garage earlier with 20 year old tyres on 😱 I’ve had a smile on my face all afternoon 😁

Thanks to everyone who’s provided valuable input over the last months - it has been very much appreciated - I’ve gone from never having done any work on the car to doing absolutely everything to get it refreshed - highly highly satisfying 😁

And seems like the brakes are now ok and working very well after following the recent advice 😁👍

52119917771_a96076ed4e_b.jpg

More power to you.  Well done, now to concentrate on driving it like you stole it.  

well done.  

• Thanks 1

I hope it sails through the test on Tuesday, hope so as you seem to have been diligent in your preparation, and great to see another early Boxster brought back to roadworthy condition.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

I hope it sails through the test on Tuesday, hope so as you seem to have been diligent in your preparation, and great to see another early Boxster brought back to roadworthy condition.

Thanks, and so do I - it feels nice and tight, and the garage that fitted the tyres had a cursory look over the car and mentioned it looked good, but a test is obviously different. Fuel tank filled yesterday and added a bottle of injector cleaner, so will also give it a good drive on Tues before the test, as the emissions element is probably the area I’m most concerned about 🤞🤞

1 hour ago, letsmile said:

Thanks, and so do I - it feels nice and tight, and the garage that fitted the tyres had a cursory look over the car and mentioned it looked good, but a test is obviously different. Fuel tank filled yesterday and added a bottle of injector cleaner, so will also give it a good drive on Tues before the test, as the emissions element is probably the area I’m most concerned about 🤞🤞

There is a lot to be said for an 'Italian Tune Up', i.e. a good run with lots of revs to get the heat through the whole exhaust system including cats.  Even if it doesn't make a huge difference it is still fun! 😉

• Like 1

Yayyyyyyyyyy🥳🥳🥳

I had the equivalent of the French mot at the end of today, which was the last step to being able to legally drive the car on the road, and it passed with flying colours! I stayed at the testing station whilst they carried out the test, somewhat nervously standing on the sidelines for what seemed like an eternity! First the rolling road to test all the brakes, then emissions test, headlight checks etc etc, the activity seemed to go on forever.

At the end of the test, the technician remarked on what great condition the car was in and said it passed well. I asked if there was anything borderline, and very amazingly he said no, all was good. I still frankly cannot believe it actually. I gave it a major blast before the test in the hope of assisting the emissions test, and, well, what can I say!

Now for a beer to celebrate! 🤩

Thanks once again for all the help, comments and feedback along the way - BoXa has been a really tremendous resource for me 👍👍👍

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, letsmile said:

Yayyyyyyyyyy🥳🥳🥳

I had the equivalent of the French mot at the end of today, which was the last step to being able to legally drive the car on the road, and it passed with flying colours! I stayed at the testing station whilst they carried out the test, somewhat nervously standing on the sidelines for what seemed like an eternity! First the rolling road to test all the brakes, then emissions test, headlight checks etc etc, the activity seemed to go on forever.

At the end of the test, the technician remarked on what great condition the car was in and said it passed well. I asked if there was anything borderline, and very amazingly he said no, all was good. I still frankly cannot believe it actually. I gave it a major blast before the test in the hope of assisting the emissions test, and, well, what can I say!

Thanks once again for all the help, comments and feedback along the way - BoXa has been a really tremendous resource for me 👍👍👍

Congratulations on passing the MOT test it’s always a bit nervy waiting to hear if it’s thumbs up or thumbs down at the MOT station. You have meticulously worked your way through the car and have now got your just reward!!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, letsmile said:

Yayyyyyyyyyy🥳🥳🥳

Excellent.  Told you an Italian Tune Up would at least be fun, seem it was effective too!

Enjoy your new baby!

• Thanks 1