Not smoke and mirrors!!

bally4563

29 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

One interesting feature is the selection for use with manual or auto gearbox. Presumably if you run it in manual mode response input/output is totally linear, giving 100% output at partial pedal travel. If you select manual mode with an auto box, does it trigger kick-down at part pedal travel? In auto mode, linear i/o to 90% then delay the last 10% until the pedal is near fully depressed so kick-down is delayed until the pedal is fully depressed? Has anyone tried this?

It could do other fancy things like momentarily producing say 80% output on any increasing pedal travel to make response feel more peppy. Who knows? There must be a website somewhere that has analysed exactly what this does. 

There would have been R&D costs involved, presumably an ASIC but £180?

Interesting questions. And some good thinking about the auto/manual switch. The fact that they have one suggests that there is behaviour for one that is not desirable for the other and that could well be it. 

The idea of a momentary 80% output on increasing pedal travel is an interesting one but I'd doubt it. It sounds like a recipe for getting into trouble quite quickly on slippery surfaces and could end up with ABS/Traction Control kicking in unnecessarily, cutting power and spoiling the party (and defeating the point of it all.) 

I agree - the price is very high for a bit of R&D, some connectors, a plastic box and a small logic controller. However their market will be small and profit isn't a dirty word (as my accountant tells me.) My choice would be to keep the £180 in my pocket and simply push the pedal a bit harder, but then I always was old-fashioned. 

• Like 1

I think that would be easier if the pedal were a bit more vertical. It also has a long travel. I had a bike that was known for it's long and vague throttle feel. I bought a quick action throttle tube for it that worked well. Cost about £20 IIRC.

If you put your heel right at the base of the throttle pedal it seems more responsive but every time you go to the brake you have to deliberately make an effort to put it back exactly right.

Had a rented Focus once and at first I thought it was surprisingly quick but after a bit I realised that all the throttle opening happened in the first half of the travel. After that it didnt get any faster. Just the opposite of the boxster.

It's an aftermarket 'Sport / Sport Plus' button, in relation to throttle map / behaviour. Nothing more, nothing less.

But folk who don't / haven't had Sport buttons in their Pork don't typically pipe up saying that Sport buttons are useless / inffective. Indeed some folk actually pay £big-bucks to have them retrofitted.

As per the thread title....

Cheers, Baggers.

4 hours ago, bagss2 said:

But folk who don't / haven't had Sport buttons in their Pork don't typically pipe up saying that Sport buttons are useless / inffective. Indeed some folk actually pay £big-bucks to have them retrofitted.

Not quite. It is from using Sports Chrono and the 'Sport' button on my car that I can say it's not worth it. It's a nice little toy and I think I probably used it every time I drove the car in the first six months of ownership but I honestly can't remember the last time I pressed it.

Maybe I should try it again sometime soon. 

• Thanks 1