Not smoke and mirrors!!

bally4563

...surprised nobody has mentioned sprint booster also has a pedal lock system that essentially works as an immobilizer with a 4 digit code...? Handy tool if car parked up for any length of time..... or out of town .

I’ve never heard of this until I read about it here but have just ordered one as it sounds like exactly the kind of modification my car needs. One of the only things I still miss from my Golf r is sport mode, sounds like good value for my £187, hope I’m not disappointed but looking forward to trying it especially as it’s something I can actually fit myself!

Edited by 944GS

1 minute ago, funbobby said:

The people that have them fitted did you bother telling the insurance company given they have no actual power change ? 

Don’t have a dog in this fight but I doubt that anyone would “win” the argument with an insurance company - When they say “ red cars crash more often”. 

they will be racing to the bottom line of “ undeclared modification “ if they can swerve  liability.  They are not (despite their marketing) doing us a favour.  

My sprint booster arrived today and I’ve just fitted it, settled on the Sport 7 setting for now and although I’ve only had a short drive to try it out I absolutely love the difference so far.

I bought from Rtec Auto Design as they were £30 cheaper than Design911 even after using the 5% discount code. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, funbobby said:

For the life of me I can’t see how to disconnect the throttle connection ? Hardly seem to have any wire spare and can’t get my hand round the back of the pedal to grab anything?!

B642864C-0204-4A7E-9D25-0EB980A69B55.jpeg

I removed that screw you can see and took the pedal off so I could see the back of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BBB said:

Where did you put the controller @944GS?

Not quite decided yet @BBB so I've run the cable under the carpet behind the pedals and round to the centre console then through the removable side panel to the front for now but not stuck it on yet.

Edited by 944GS

On 2/25/2022 at 8:42 AM, Menoporsche said:

So does that finally answer my question above, what do these do? Is it effectively to shorten pedal travel?

Yes

23 hours ago, JonSta said:

I think yes but there's a bit more to it than that. They also speed up the responses in the ECU. The effect is sort of faster pedal with quicker responses to what the pedal is saying.

There is no more to it than shortening the accelerator pedal travel. It can adjust the gain to give 100% throttle output over 30%, 40%, 50% etc of pedal travel in a vast range of "performance enhancing modes" (or giving 30% output @ 100% throttle in valet mode, 0% in lock mode etc etc). but that's ALL it can do. 

If you like this effect then go for it but it doesn't "sharpen" throttle response and the ECU will process the throttle signal in exactly the same way as it does without this device.  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

Yes

There is no more to it than shortening the accelerator pedal travel. It can adjust the gain to give 100% throttle output over 30%, 40%, 50% etc of pedal travel in a vast range of "performance enhancing modes" (or giving 30% output @ 100% throttle in valet mode, 0% in lock mode etc etc). but that's ALL it can do. 

If you like this effect then go for it but it doesn't "sharpen" throttle response and the ECU will process the throttle signal in exactly the same way as it does without this device.  

OK I read somewhere that other stuff is going on. Maybe not then.

Just back from my first proper drive since fitting yesterday, 50+ miles on mostly fast A roads and I absolutely loved the difference.

I know the car isn’t any faster but it certainly feels it and made me smile, that was on the Sport 8 setting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 944GS said:

Just back from my first proper drive since fitting yesterday, 50+ miles on mostly fast A roads and I absolutely loved the difference.

I know the car isn’t any faster but it certainly feels it and made me smile, that was on the Sport 8 setting.

Exactly what I have found

On 2/26/2022 at 9:52 AM, Codfanglers said:

Yes

Given that it sits in the signal path from the accelerator pedal to the ECU then this is all it can do. It can't modify any other aspect of the car's behaviour. 

It's like wearing lead wellies when you drive the car. It magnifies small throttle inputs so they become big ones. This will take delicacy out of the driving, particularly noticeable when manoeuvring or driving in traffic, but will make the power more accessible when only pushing the pedal gently. It's very like the throttle cams that people used to fit on their 944's; people would fit them and report huge improvements in the way the car responds, as if it suddenly has gained a lot more power. However many people decided over a period of time that the pedal calibration from the factory was indeed better in the real world and took the cam off, replacing it with the standard one (if they had the good sense to keep it.) 

As with all things in life, you pays your money and you takes your choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zcacogp said:

Given that it sits in the signal path from the accelerator pedal to the ECU then this is all it can do. It can't modify any other aspect of the car's behaviour. 

It's like wearing lead wellies when you drive the car. It magnifies small throttle inputs so they become big ones. This will take delicacy out of the driving, particularly noticeable when manoeuvring or driving in traffic, but will make the power more accessible when only pushing the pedal gently. It's very like the throttle cams that people used to fit on their 944's; people would fit them and report huge improvements in the way the car responds, as if it suddenly has gained a lot more power. However many people decided over a period of time that the pedal calibration from the factory was indeed better in the real world and took the cam off, replacing it with the standard one (if they had the good sense to keep it.) 

As with all things in life, you pays your money and you takes your choice. 

One interesting feature is the selection for use with manual or auto gearbox. Presumably if you run it in manual mode response input/output is totally linear, giving 100% output at partial pedal travel. If you select manual mode with an auto box, does it trigger kick-down at part pedal travel? In auto mode, linear i/o to 90% then delay the last 10% until the pedal is near fully depressed so kick-down is delayed until the pedal is fully depressed? Has anyone tried this?

It could do other fancy things like momentarily producing say 80% output on any increasing pedal travel to make response feel more peppy. Who knows? There must be a website somewhere that has analysed exactly what this does. 

There would have been R&D costs involved, presumably an ASIC but £180?