Locked out of heaven

Daboy3000

Long story short, my lock isn't working, probably disconnected from the actuator as I have been fiddling.  Remote not opening because car has been sitting for a week.

Car is attached to a charger but everything is locked.  I can get a coat hanger in and in fact managed to reach and pull the passenger handle but the hanger didn't quite have enough strength and after setting the alarm off twice I thought I would give the neighbours a break.

Any tips for getting into the car or recommendations for an expert to come and do it?

......This is how my life is non stop...  car surprisingly passes MOT, then I still can't drive it.   First world problems and all that!

If it helps I once rode down to the lake district for an overnight stay with my ex wife then managed to lock the bike keys under the bike seat, so I feel your pain. 😊

I'm assuming you have a problem with both driver and passenger locks?

On my (admittedly 2003) 986 I can rearm the remote unlocking by turning the key a quarter turn anticlockwise in the drivers door. I don't know if you'll need the mechanism attached properly for that though.

Edited by AMacdonald

6 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

If it helps I once rode down to the lake district for an overnight stay with my ex wife then managed to lock the bike keys under the bike seat, so I feel your pain. 😊

I'm assuming you have a problem with both driver and passenger locks?

Passenger lock?  Only have a drivers door lock.

Have tried doing something similar @AMacdonald, but will give it another try.

uh oh, I'm sure this happened to someone else last week. @TROOPER88 said you can get the windows to lower by turning the key and holding it there. 

I can confirm this works, at least it did for me on a 2.7 2001 car.  Did you try it?

Approach the locked car, put the key in the door and turn it to the unlock position, hold it there, and the windows will lower. 

Works the opposite too, if you want to close the windows hold the key in the lock position.

@joeluth Door lock has come dethatched from the mechanism that goes to the actuator, therefore turning the key in the lock does nothing.

Is it worth calling the AA or auto-locksmith, if that is s thing?

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Sad 1

Locksmith suggested trying to get the key into the ignition and then pressing the unlock button.  I am not sure that would be possible.

I'm thinking that if I try a pull the handle for an hour or so and if that doesn't work then i might smash a window?  Going to be cheaper than a few hundred pounds for a locksmith.

To summarise (if this is the same post that you have made on FB):

- You removed the drivers door module recently and did not put it back correctly? You failed to attach the handle to module bar correctly? 

If so, this is a mechanical issue and as such, you can forget about attempting any means of button pressing, key in ignition, key in the door, dancing in the rain etc

Smash the window and pull the handle, replacement glass is cheap.

I would strongly suggest though getting the car to your Porsche dealer / indy to fix your issue.

Cheers Paul

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

@joeluth Door lock has come dethatched from the mechanism that goes to the actuator, therefore turning the key in the lock does nothing.

Is it worth calling the AA or auto-locksmith, if that is s thing?

bummer mate, I see..

so there's 2 connections from the door handle to the actuator, there's a long spade like arm that turns with the key, it has to fit into a rotating slot, it sounds like this is not connected. 

it also sounds like the connector rod that goes from the outside handle to the acuator is also not attached.

So no handle,   no key turn.    

As trooper said, could be you have to break the glass.. 

but maybe you can try again with the hanger or some strong wire,   can you get to your frunk emergency boot release?

pull that and disconnect the battery, at least that way you can have a real go at using the wire without the alarm going off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

To summarise (if this is the same post that you have made on FB):

- You removed the drivers door module recently and did not put it back correctly? You failed to attach the handle to module bar correctly? 

If so, this is a mechanical issue and as such, you can forget about attempting any means of button pressing, key in ignition, key in the door, dancing in the rain etc

Smash the window and pull the handle, replacement glass is cheap.

I would strongly suggest though getting the car to your Porsche dealer / indy to fix your issue.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul, I have posted on FB but there is also another person with a similar issue today too. I tried to remove the actuator, so I could check the part number to find a replacement, ironically it was this bar connected to the external handle that I just could not remove, I just don't have the strength in one hand to pop it off.  Although I was very careful I imagine I have disturbed this, thus no longer connected and I stupidly didn't check the key lock.

I can't see how it would be possible to get the car collected as it's off the road, but even if I could I am not spending £100s+ getting it sorted.  I just don't have that kind of money.  

Am I right in thinking that if I can pull an internal handle that the car will open?

Thanks 1/2cwt, I will have another bash with the coat hanger and once that sends me insane I will replace the window.  I've never put glass in before, is it a PITA?  I was thinking of sticking a wrap on it first so when it breaks it stays together.

3 hours ago, joeluth said:

bummer mate, I see..

so there's 2 connections from the door handle to the actuator, there's a long spade like arm that turns with the key, it has to fit into a rotating slot, it sounds like this is not connected. 

it also sounds like the connector rod that goes from the outside handle to the acuator is also not attached.

So no handle,   no key turn.    

As trooper said, could be you have to break the glass.. 

but maybe you can try again with the hanger or some strong wire,   can you get to your frunk emergency boot release?

pull that and disconnect the battery, at least that way you can have a real go at using the wire without the alarm going off.

Pretty sure the door handle is fine as it was making the window drop when I pulled it and closed it for the "last" time.  (my whole reason for messing with it in the first place)

Doesn't the alarm still sound if you disconnect the battery?

I might try that tough as someone said that the fob might work if I can disconnect and reconnect the battery.

6 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Thanks 1/2cwt, I will have another bash with the coat hanger and once that sends me insane I will replace the window.  I've never put glass in before, is it a PITA?  I was thinking of sticking a wrap on it first so when it breaks it stays together.

You will get a 1 million piece jigsaw but if you have some masking tape or film to apply but not too strong.  Also it will take a lot more force than you think to break, think heavy hammer and centre punch, not just a centre popper, and do it nearer an edge not in the centre.  I;ve done it a couple of times on toughened glass and it is certainly toughened!  You will also need to very carefully vacuum up afterwards but you should be able to pick up quite a lot carefully by hand.  Might even pay if you can to drop a bit of plastic sheet down inside the window to stop fine fragments flying anywhere in the cockpit. 

I accept no responsibility for the outcome of this, but as a last resort.....

3 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Pretty sure the door handle is fine as it was making the window drop when I pulled it and closed it for the "last" time.  (my whole reason for messing with it in the first place)

I might try that tough as someone said that the fob might work if I can disconnect and reconnect the battery.

As I explained to you above, mechanically, the handle is not connected. Putting the key in the ignition will make NO difference.

There is no way at all to open the door other than to pull the interior handle or drill out the barrel. Do not try forcing the glass down as you will damage the regulator. 

Going back to your original issue, you do not need the part number. If yours is 1996 car then all you need to know is that its an 8 pin plug.

3 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

As I explained to you above, mechanically, the handle is not connected. Putting the key in the ignition will make NO difference.

There is no way at all to open the door other than to pull the interior handle or drill out the barrel. Do not try forcing the glass down as you will damage the regulator. 

Going back to your original issue, you do not need the part number. If yours is 1996 car then all you need to know is that its an 8 pin plug.

It is 100% an 8 pin, I could at least see that.  The key in ignition idea was so that I could then press the central locking button on the dash, but I just don't see it even being possible to get the key in and turn it from 6 foot away through an inch hole. lol

Don't like the idea of drilling the barrel, wouldn't I need to replace the keys?

6 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

It is 100% an 8 pin, I could at least see that.  The key in ignition idea was so that I could then press the central locking button on the dash, but I just don't see it even being possible to get the key in and turn it from 6 foot away through an inch hole. lol

Don't like the idea of drilling the barrel, wouldn't I need to replace the keys?

Not the key, the barrel.

22 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Well yeah, it probably will for a short while, but it needs power from somewhere right?  also you can physically unplug the bugger once the hood is up! 

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

5 stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.  I suggest you get to acceptance sooner rather than later, you agree @TROOPER88?

Is smashing the window anger or acceptance??.... I don't know what stage i'm at, I've been in denial most my life....🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Is smashing the window anger or acceptance??.... I don't know what stage i'm at, I've been in denial most my life....🤣

They do say the 5 stages are not necessarily sequential or discreet phases, so angry acceptance might be a way through it...

So if it’s just the drivers door, could you not try and reach the door lock button on the dash with a coat hanger, this might at least unlock the passenger door.

I once locked the keys in a discovery and the locksmith used a blood pressure sleeve which he wedged between the door and door frame, pumped it up about an inch that then enabled him to use a stick to push door release on dash, this method might help you.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I did it. And I didn't need to smash the window. 

Pole with key on the end into the ignition, then another to press the button. 

51988518528_89dc871c62_c.jpg

Well figured out.  Now sort that lock module!

• Like 1