718 GTS 4.0 - PDK or manual?

Required

I'm dithering over the idea of ordering a new GTS 4.0.  As well as the furious man-maths in progress, I'm asking myself whether to go for manual or PDK.

When you look at the small number of used GTS 4.0s that are advertised, the curious thing is that the majority are manual, which I understand is very much not the case with Boxsters in general.  Of course this is a totally unrepresentative sample - they're mostly very low mileage cars for sale at a price that's probably more than new, so one has to assume that they weren't bought by people who intended to drive them.

The answer, of course, is that you should go for whatever transmission you like most.  Until a couple of days ago that would definitely have been PDK.  But I'm currently driving a loaner with manual transmission, and I find I quite enjoy it.  Presumably because of {mumble} decades driving manuals, shifting seems very natural in a way it doesn't with the PDK paddles.  The only problem is a lack of pull at low revs, which I guess is something you learn to deal with.  Or is it just something you get with a 4-cylinder 2.0 turbo, that a 4.0 flat six wouldn't suffer from?

Views?

Cannot comment on the 4 cylinder turbo as I’ve never driven one but personally I would order the 4L GTS with PDK/Sports chrono.

I was a avid manual driver and my first two Boxsters were manual but having had PDK on my 987.2 and now the improved version on the 981 I doubt I would go manual again. With the Chrono option it really is the best of both worlds and I prefer both hands on the wheel when I m flying round country lanes 😂

If your thinking of future values there will be a equal amount of people after a well specked PDK or manual so just choose which you fancy 👍

I’ve always had manual Boxsters and was looking for the same when I bought my 981 GTS 4 years ago. Then the perfect spec, perfect colour car appeared and I jumped at it - despite its PDK box. It’s been a fantastic car: I’ve loved it and the PDK is brilliant.

But I still hankered after a manual so specified it when I placed an order for a GTS 4.0 in August last year (no allocation yet). It’s probably my last new ICE car so let’s go with the full hands on experience I thought - no compromises.

Then I started to worry about the long gears and decided to try both a PDK and a manual at the PEC Day at Silverstone. I loved the throw of the manual, the snick of the gearbox and the wonderful involvement of physically changing gear. My decision was vindicated.

Out of the manual and into the PDK next. 

What a gearbox - even better than the 981 version! On the tight handling circuits in sport mode and the PDK in auto it was lightning quick with double downshifts under braking ahead of sharp corners: achieving a single manual downshift would have been nigh on impossible in the same time, let alone two. It enabled me to focus completely on my lines, steering, braking and accelerating away, safe in the knowledge I would always be in the right gear. Tremendous.

I left Silverstone thinking that the answer was PDK.

But is it? If the gears were shorter, I would almost certainly go manual - I just love the feeling of changing gear. Luckily, I don’t commute or live in a city so stop/start motoring is not an issue. 

But I do attend four or five track days a year and the PDK would be much better for them. And my wife would certainly prefer an ‘automatic’. Though, of course, it does cost £2k more which could go on another couple of options.

And so it goes on. 

Ultimately, the solution is clear: a manual Boxster and a PDK Cayman. I just need to get a second allocation. Shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

• Thanks 1

Drove the loan car back to the OPC in heavy traffic on A14/M11, and decided I hated it.  The clutch had a long travel, and seemed to be very grabby. I dare say I'm a bit out of practice, plus it always takes a while to get used to a new transmission. But the fun on back roads doesn't compensate for the hard work in traffic.

Manual for me, every time.  I wouldn't even consider an automatic, on any car but especially a Porsche.  The gearchange on my Cayman is silky smooth, an absolute joy to use, and it makes the car easily the best I have ever owned.

So, in summary, the correct answer is: "Manual" :lol:

I have a manual GTS 4.0 which I have had since new in Aug 2020. Previously I had a PDK GTS 2.5. It's horses for courses but for me the manual 4.0 is an absolute peach of a car. The N/A engine works really well with the manual transmission. 

You won’t be driving it as a daily though will you?  So it has to be a manual if it’s a play thing.  You want all the involvement you can get in a car like this.

Manuals will be a thing of the past soon.  I’m already feeling less engaged with newer cars and like the extra feeling a manual has.  I’m even thinking my next daily will be a manual purely because their days are numbered….

All said though, only you can answer your question.  What do you want from it, and how are you going to drive her?

Were they only available in manual at launch? - that could be a reason.

On what to spec that , as folk have said, is down to you and what typical use is - I need a PDK as my "worse" knee is the left.

Oh and what a problem to have!

As a reflection in Ferrari world the 360 at launch most were specced with the F1 box .We all wanted to mimic what we saw on television Sunday after noon , namely Schumacher winning every GP with flappy paddles .

Same for the successor the 430 .Fast forward to now ,or recent past and the the few then odd ball manuals that are in demand .The 430 arguably the last stick shifter mid engined car they built .

Sure it’s slower than it’s F1 eq , sure on a track there will be moments you wished you could morph into Hamilton flapping away with the paddles etc .But and it’s a big but on the ave twisty road in ave hands on a ave Sunday or high day in what is basically a big boys toy the manual adds another level of skill , fun , something to master etc etc .

Sure it’s slower on paper , sure a PITA in city driving but the market dictates stick shifter for boys toys .

As flappy paddles have become the norm in high end metal toys with Hp it’s the stick shifters that stand out and demand premiums going Fwds .= more involved and fun that’s why .

• Like 1