Ferry crossing-tilt sensor?

lawrencequinn

I have a 2 night ferry crossing to Spain in my 987.2 Boxster. I know that if I double click the key fob it disables the cabin sensor but does anyone know if there is a tilt sensor in the car. Bay of Biscay can be lumpy at any time of year! I don't want to arrive in Bilbao and have a flat battery from the alarm going off. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Last time I went across Biscay on a ferry even the crew were throwing up.....

And to think I've actually considered it at one point... most of my family had a problem with Newhaven-Dieppe... I've heard Biscay can be really awful.

25 minutes ago, edc said:

I've always left mine unlocked ...

Do they not lock themselves if left unattended? If I recall, mine locks if I get out and leave it for 20-30 secs or so. No alarm though (at least no flashing lights) but you can hear it locking...

27 minutes ago, lawrencequinn said:

Am I right in thinking they lock off the car decks to access once under way?

Yes. I've done the Santander trip a few times now. 

4 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Do they not lock themselves if left unattended? If I recall, mine locks if I get out and leave it for 20-30 secs or so. No alarm though (at least no flashing lights) but you can hear it locking...

Most cars if you unlock but don't open a door within a certain timeframe then it will lock. If you just switch off the ignition and get out the car and not lock it the car won't lock itself, at least for 986. 

Just now, edc said:

Most cars if you unlock but don't open a door within a certain timeframe then it will lock. If you just switch off the ignition and get out the car and not lock it the car won't lock itself, at least for 986. 

Ah, that's it...good to know!

The tilt sensor definitely turns off if you double press the locking button on the key. It’s in the manual somewhere but in a different place from where it tells you that double-pressing turns off the cabin sensor. Somewhere near the back of the manual if my memory is correct.

20 hours ago, lawrencequinn said:

Thanks Brian. I couldn’t find it. 

In my 981 manual it's in the short section specifically on the alarm system (p197). I remember in my 986 and 987 manuals it was in a similar section, but obviously on different page. Specifically mentions turning off the internal sensors if leaving eg animals in the car and turning off the inclination sensor when going on ferries. 2 presses of the key locking button within 2 seconds - direction indicators flash once in response. Different process if you have the comfort entry system (not sure that was offered on 987, can't remember).