RMS leak, good idea or am I missing something?

Tynesider

Early 2.5 with rms annoying drip, the clutch was replaced by a previous owner and has only done approx 10,000 miles but don't know if oil seal was changed then (approx 6years or so ago). So I just want to catch the drip and stop it staining the driveway, both drivers of the car are forgetful and collectively we have driven over about 5 drip trays (oops! you'd think we would remember!)

So I was thinking of fabricating a plastic or aluminium under tray with an absorbent pad in it that could be changed (see video)to go under the section where the drip is, the rest of the under trays are in place and fine. Do you think this is a viable idea or am I missing something?

My 2p worth. 

Collection of oil - especially if in a rag or similar absorbing material is a fire risk. 

If it’s a problem. Then the best fix is to … fix it.  “One and done”. 

4 hours ago, Paul P said:

My 2p worth. 

Collection of oil - especially if in a rag or similar absorbing material is a fire risk. 

If it’s a problem. Then the best fix is to … fix it.  “One and done”. 

Kind of agree, but an expensive gearbox drop for a vey cheap component, but life is like that sometimes, even an IMS bearing is only a few quid....

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Kind of agree, but an expensive gearbox drop for a vey cheap component, but life is like that sometimes, even an IMS bearing is only a few quid....

True.  I would probably “forget” it’s had a clutch ( especially if the rms wasn’t done then ) and go for it all again but I get that wouldn’t work for everyone.

Then  again there  is the cheddar Bob oil leak that was IMS would make me want to know what was going on. 

12 minutes ago, Paul P said:

True.  I would probably “forget” it’s had a clutch ( especially if the rms wasn’t done then ) and go for it all again but I get that wouldn’t work for everyone.

Then  again there  is the cheddar Bob oil leak that was IMS would make me want to know what was going on. 

That said the OP's car is an early 2.5 engine with the dual row bearing.  Cheddarbob had a later single row 2.7 but I take your point.

I wouldn't go anywhere near something like that.  It has so much potential to cause serious damage.  say it moves due to airflow and you have an oil soaked fabric touching a red hot CAT?

If you don't want to go through the expense or hassle of replacement seal, buy a few more drip trays and a post it note on the steering wheel.  They are a lot cheaper than a burnt out car.